On Saturday at Seoul, Choinma won the capital’s top juvenile race. On Sunday it’s Busan’s turn to find the best among its latest crop as eight 2-year-olds contest the Gimhae Mayor’s Cup. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05.
Just as Seoul’s race was yesterday, the Gimhae Mayor’s looks a fascinating contest. GC Trophy winner World Sun produced a remarkable finish to win that race, beating two of his rivals here and likely enters as favourite. However, Sin Stealth got the better of him back in August ad is likely to be a danger again. Thomas Gillespie saddles a promising pair in the shape of Yeonghui Sidae and Gyeongjuui Durebak while Kim Young Kwan’s duo of Ecton Blade and Captain Force both have claims of their own.
Only Seoul is available on international simulcast (North America/Australia) today. Notes on the races as follows:
Race 1: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) JANGSAN JEPAE stepped up to 1300M last time but weakened a little late on and ended up in 4th place. Dropped back to the minimum distance today, where she already has a win and a 2nd place to her name – the latter at this class – she is going to be hard to beat. The up in class (3) HWANAE JANGSEONG made all for her maiden win over 1300M last start and should be on pace once more here with good claims to be competitive while (10) BULHUUI SEUNGJA is yet to win but also finds herself up in class after a few too many near misses. Likewise there is no reason why she can’t cope with this level. The more experienced pair of (8) DESERT EAGLE and (11) EVER A ONE don’t look likely winners but are capable of finding the money in this company.
|Selections||(4) Jangsan Jepae (3) Hwanae Jangseong (10) Bulhuui Seungja (11) Ever A One|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 11|
Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) CALLIOPE was a convincing four-length winner on debut over 1000M a month ago and returns today up in both class and distance but still favourite to score in what is quite a strong looking contest for this level. Aside from the favourite, four others are also up in class following their maiden wins and among them (4) MAGIC TEN, looks the best. True, she won her maiden in the Stewards’ room but her and the “winner” were a full nine lengths clear of the rest of the field and she shows promise as does (11) SEUNGRI SIDAE, a three-length winner over 1300M on September 30th. Among those already at this level, (3) JANGSAN JEGUK’s latest was in tough juvenile company so he gets another chance while (10) BLUE LANCE returned from almost a year out at the start of this month and ran encouragingly enough to suggest there is improvement in store.
|Selections||(1) Calliope (4) Magic Ten (3) Jangsan Jeguk (11) Seungri Sidae|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juveniles only here and just four of them have raced before. It’s among those we find out top two though with (3) J.S. STORM the pick. He debuted in 4th place all the way back at the end of July but returned to action in a swift September trial and can score here. (8) VICTORY STAR was 3rd on debut on September 23rd, beating (6) CHEONGDAM QUEENS in the process. She ran on very nicely over 1000M after a slow start and should appreciate the extra furlong today. (7) STRONG MAN went ok on debut too although it wasn’t an especially good race. As for the debut-makers, (2) BAEKDUI TAEYANG and (5) ADELEUI KKUM looked most accomplished in trials and will be backed first-up.
|Selections||(3) J.S Storm (8) Victory Star (2) Baekdui Taeyang (5) Adeleui Kkum|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(5) SEUTILLEO stepped up to 1700M last time and came closer than ever to getting his maiden win. True, he was beaten four-lengths by a decent winner but it was a solid 2nd place and as one of only three in this field who have taken on the distance, he looks the logical choice here. The other two with experience around two turns are our next choices. (2) KHENDUM POWER was an encouraging 5th two weeks ago and can build on it today and while (4) SAMDA BULKKOT didn’t go especially well at it, he improved back at 1300M last start and looks ready for another go. Among those stepping up in trip for the first time, (3) MEORURANG and (10) SKY CITY, who beat Samda Bulkkot last start, look most prepared.
|Selections||(5) Seutilleo (2) Khendum Power (4) Samda Bulkkot (10) Sky City|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 12|
Race 5: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) BULHUUI MYEONGGOG enters following three consecutive 3rd place and three consecutive 2nd place finishes and it’s really time he went one better. His latest two have both been at this distance and he was just beaten out by a nose last time out having led for most of the race. Today could be his day. (4) CUPID BOY is thirty races without a win and has been beaten by Bulhuui Myeonggog in both his latest two. He’s rarely far away though and can find the money again, however, it’s another maiden who may pose the greatest winning threat. That’s (8) CHODONG RACE, who has actually crossed the line in front before, only to be demoted for interference over 1300M in August. He put in an encouraging performance when stepped up to 1700M a month ago and can get close. (7) LAST JACKPOT beat four of these on his way to a surprise 2nd place over class and distance on October 1st and must be respected while (10) BONNET BLUE, one of those four, is among a number of others here with placing chances.
|Selections||(3) Bulhuui Myeonggog (8) Chodong Race (7) Last Jackpot (4) Cupid Boy|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 11|
Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
He was favourite at class and distance on September 24th and while he was beaten four-lengths into 2nd place, (1) SUSEONG CHAMP remains the one they need to beat today. He should be on or close to the early pace here and can go one better. (2) EOUL DEOUL beat (10) YEONGUNG BULPAE and (11) JINGYOGUI YEONGUNG as the trio ran 1st, 2nd and 3rd at class and distance on September 16th. Eoul Deoul carries an extra 3kg today but remains in firm contention while Jingyogui Yeongung can go close as well – the relatively unfancied Yeongung Bulpae has raced once since and reverted to type, finishing well down the field. (7) TIZ GLEE and (9) HAWAII BOSS are others who enter in decent form and can be considered.
|Selections||(1) Suseong Champ (2) Eoul Deoul (7) Tiz Glee (9) Hawaii Boss|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Plenty of those come in having gone close in their latest efforts but we’ll give the nod to the front-running (2) DAE BONGHWANG, a winner from this gate at the distance at class 5 on August and then 4th at this level last time out. He beat (4) SIN DOLGYEOK by a couple of lengths last time but that one can be a threat today while (8) MUCH MONEY steps back in trip following a 2nd place over 1400M at the end of last month and can come through strong late in the race. (9) ROCKET ROAD has been no worse than 4th in his three attempts at this level so far and can continue that record here while (6) PUREUN JILJU is up in class but shouldn’t be out of her depth and can get close.
|Selections||(2) Dae Bonghwang (8) Much Money (9) Rocket Road (4) Sin Dolgyeok|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 12|
Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another really open race here with plenty of contenders looking fairly evenly matched. The presence of Djordje Perovic aboard (10) DOSI NONGBU, however, is just enough to give that one the edge with the Aussie-bred gelding stepping back in trip following two near-misses over 1700M. He’s not raced at this distance before but was a winner over 1300M in June. Another strong candidate is (1) TOGETHER HUG. She also steps back from 1700M following a 2nd place on her first try at this level in August and comes in here off an eleven week break and is likely to set the pace today. (3) KOREA JEONGSANG beat (7) DAE JYUSIN as the pair ran 2nd and 3rd over class and distance on October 1st and both are in the frame again while (5) SKY VELVET, up in class after 2nd place in a good race over 1300M six weeks ago, may be yet to win but should be able to compete in this company. (11) USEUNG HOUSE was a shock winner at class and distance last time but while respect is needed, he comes in after sixteen weeks off and will be an outsider.
|Selections||(10) Dosi Nongbu (1) Together Hug (7) Dae Jyusin (5) Sky Velvet|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 12|
Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another competitive race. (1) YEONGGWANGUI SIGAN, (3) COLORFUL CAT and (10) SERA KING were all winner at class 4 last start and all make the move up in grade here with Yeonggwangui Sigan, who is actually the only one of the three who still qualifies for class 4, looking the most likely to repeat. She’ll not be favourite though. (4) OJEI MYEONGDAB is a class and distance winner and while slightly inconsistent, he was 4th in a tough race earlier this month and is very much in the frame here. Likewise, (8) RICH YEOJANGGUN suffered his first defeat on his fifth start in the same October 1st race but is a talent and should be given another chance today. (12) CIRCLE DANCER beat (9) SUN MASTER when the pair finished 1st and 4th at class and distance in late August and both also look in at least the placing frame here.
|Selections||(8) Rich Yeojanggun (4) Ojei Myeongdab (1) Yeonggwangui Sigan (9) Sun Master|
|Next Best||7, 5, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 10|
Race 10: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) BANYA DONGHAENG was a winner at this class over 1900M on September 16th and while he does carry an extra 4.5kg today, he’s the pick to score once again. (12) SPECIAL RUNNER is up in class and also marginally in distance following a pair of wins over 1700M and looks nicely in here. He has been opting for gate 12 lately and should be strong in the later stages of the race. (9) PLACES TO GO was a winner at this class over 1700M on September 23rd and just like Banya Donghaeng carries more weight today but is still in the frame while (2) BIG TRIO didn’t go well on a previous try at this distance on the Ilgan Sports Cup in July but gets another go here after a strong 2nd place over 1400M last month.
|Selections||(8) Banya Donghaeng (12) Special Runner (9) Places To Go (2) Big Trio|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 7|
Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(1) SANGGAM MAMA beat four of these on his way to breaking the track record at this very distance on September 30th and accordingly has to be top pick to follow up here. He’s won his latest two by a combined ten lengths, making all both times. Both (9) POWER BISEUL and (11) CUPID POWER, who filled out the places in that race will be expected to challenge again but the main danger comes from (7) CITY STAR. He ran a huge race in the Gukje Sinmun Cup at Busan on October 1st to finish 3rd behind Power Blade and Triple Nine at this distance and has to be given a chance of going very well here. The up in class (12) ANOTHER SMART ONE is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Sanggam Mama (7) City Star (12) Another Smart One (9) Power Biseul|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 8|