It’s a big day of racing in the peninsula as Oaks winner Ottug Ottugi heads the line-up in Seoul in the Jeju Governor’s Cup, a race that brings together some of the top Korean bred fillies on the peninsula. At Busan, Macheon Bolt is the one they have to beat in a top class feature handicap.
English Racecards are here. All Seoul races are available on the TAB in Australia.Race-by-race preview (except Busan race 1) below:
|Rating||Top five official rated|
|Fast Starters||Expected to lead the race early|
|Start-200M||Fastest Average time for the first 200M (up to 6 most recent races)|
|200M-Finish||Fastest average time for the final 200M (up to 6 most recent races)|
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 60 Million / 10:40
Two standouts here and we’ll go with (11) SMART PARK to beat (9) LEAD MONEY. The latter would perhaps have won last time had he not shifted inwards away from the whip in the closing stages and gets another chance here. Among the rest, (6) CUPID FLOWER was beaten by Lead Money on debut in August and can improve for it while (2) LUIBAN, (3) RAON ROCKY and (10) GOLDEN STEP look best of the first-timers.
|Selections||(11) Smart Park (9) Lead Money (6) Cupid Flower (3) Raon Rocky|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Starters||1, 2, 3, 6|
|Start-200M||9, 4, 5, 11, 6|
|200M-Finish||11, 8, 6, 9, 5|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 11:05
(6) NHA TRANG has improved on each start so far and was 2nd in a weak race over 1000M a month ago. He tries 1300M for the first time today and can win from on the early speed. Main danger is (4) HAWK EYES, narrowly beaten into 3rd last start and with a strong finish. The rest look indifferent at best. It’s not a good sign to still be at class 6 after 23 starts but (1) DREAM KING should be capable of beating a few of these while (2) PROUD and (9) NONGBON OREUM can also compete for places.
|Selections||(4) Hawk Eyes (6) Nha Trang (2) Proud (1) Dream King|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Starters||6, 9|
|Start-200M||6, 4, 8, 2, 9|
|200M-Finish||4, 6, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 11:30
(3) NO MERCY was 2nd on debut at the beginning of September, having briefly led close to home and he is one of the main contenders here. He’ll look to lead all the way. (5) BINNANEUN TALLYEOK was a much improved 2nd on what was her fourth start at the end of August. She’s not a fast starter and may appreciate the extra half furlong today. (1) I AM CAPTAIN was a slightly disappointing 6th last time but gets another chance while (4) SUNNY SKY and (6) HIMCHAN CHULBAL look best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) No Mercy (5) Binnaneun Tallyeok (1) I Am Captain (6) Himchan Chulbal|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Starters||3, 7|
|Start-200M||3, 7, 1, 2, 4|
|200M-Finish||6, 5, 8, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 / 1000M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 12:10
(9) RAON CONDOR was a three-length winner on debut a month ago and while she had little to beat that day and is up in class here, she will be competitive. (5) STORM RYKER has been knocking on the door of the places at this class and should be going close here while (3) GEUMBIT ROAD returns after nine months off and looked sharp in a trial in the summer. (7) SUPER ROCKET and (8) SAEBYEOCK BULKKOT both improved last start and may be considered.
|Selections||(5) Storm Ryker (9) Raon Condor (7) Super Rocket (3) Geumbit Road|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Rating||1, 5, 7, 4=9|
|Fast Starters||3, 7, 8, 9|
|Start-200M||9, 7, 3, 5, 8|
|200M-Finish||3, 11, 4, 2, 1|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:15
Really open race all-filly race. (1) PUREUN JILJU was a winner on debut last month but will have to find plenty if she’s to repeat. Just as likely to make the step up is (11) GEUMSAEKJO, who looked good making all to get her own maiden win on August 28th. (7) EONJE EODISEONA and (8) MARI have both run twice at this level and should be competitive while (2) ECTON GAYA and especially (3) DOLCE VITA are others to consider.
|Selections||(11) Geumsaekjo (7) Eonje Eodiseona (3) Dolce Vita (1) Pureun Jilju|
|Next Best||8, 2, 10|
|Rating||7, 8, 11, 1, 2|
|Fast Starters||6, 7, 8, 10|
|Start-200M||8, 7, 10, 6, 5|
|200M-Finish||2, 11, 10, 9, 1|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13:40
(11) GASOK ACE is up in class following his maiden win last time and looks nicely in for a repeat today. Rivals are (9) GOLDEN KINGS returned from five months off to record a solid 5th place earlier this month and should have come on for the run and (10) KWAESEOK BOLT, already a winner at this level and top weight here. The inconsistent (3) ACE POWER looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Gasok Ace (10) Kwaeseok Bolt (9) Golden Kings (3) Ace Power|
|Next Best||1, 5, 6|
|Rating||10, 6, 11, 3, 9|
|Fast Starters||3, 11|
|Start-200M||3, 11, 9, 1, 8|
|200M-Finish||11, 9, 7, 2, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:05
Only one previous winner amongst this lot and that’s (12) GYODUBO, who races for the first time since that victory, achieved on a muddy track in July. He’s top weight but has claims again. (1) BROOKS comes in following a 3rd and a 2nd from his last two and should place again while (2) TOTAL WALKER is always well-supported and may find conditions more favourable today. (8) SINGIPARANG is one start into a comeback following over a year off and can improve with (7) MUSTANG STRONG, (9) ALL KILL and (11) GUKJE MYEONGPUM among a number of others to watch.
|Selections||(12) Gyodubo (1) Brooks (2) Total Walker (7) Mustang Strong|
|Next Best||8, 11, 9, 10|
|Rating||8, 12, 10, 1, 2|
|Fast Starters||1, 7, 8, 12|
|Start-200M||7, 8, 6, 10, 12|
|200M-Finish||12, 8, 10, 2, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 14:30
(2) CAPITAL GANGJA comes in following three consecutive 2nd place finishes and taking her chance against imports can go one better here. She beat (5) KKEUTPAN BOOSTER into 3rd last time out and both should be in contention with the latter carrying 3kg less today. Main danger is Kim Young Kwan’s (8) MATCH POWER, 3rd on his second start a month ago and surely a winner at some stage. (10) DEVIL KING and (11) YEGEURINA are also to be considered.
|Selections||(5) Kkeutpan Booster (8) Match Power (2) Capital Gangja (11) Yegeurina|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Rating||11, 6=9, 7, 4|
|Fast Starters||1, 3|
|Start-200M||1, 2, 5, 11, 3|
|200M-Finish||11, 4, 6, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:55
Competitive race here. (1) MISUJAE and (3) DANGCHANBISANG are up in class after slightly unexpected wins at 1200M and 1300M respectively. They’ll have a bit to find today but can be competitive. (2) SPECIAL ROAD HILL secured her second career win against softer opposition earlier this month and will also need to improve. (9) WHIZ SPEED, with two wins and two 2nds from his last four looks the one to beat although strong finisher (4) SUPER BROAD can improve on recent starts too. (6) CHEOLLI and (11) OFFIDAY also with claims.
|Selections||(9) Whiz Speed (4) Super Broad (1) Misujae (3) Dangchanbisang|
|Next Best||11, 6, 2|
|Rating||9, 11, 2=8, 4|
|Fast Starters||1, 3, 9, 11|
|Start-200M||9, 5, 3, 6, 1|
|200M-Finish||4, 11, 6, 2, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 15:20
(3) GABO STAR has been sent off at odds-on for all but one of his seven starts to date. He’s only won the two but while he is up in class here, he should be leading all the way from a favourable draw and making it three. He’s up against (7) GIFTED SUN though, a sharp winner over 1000M last month who is similarly up in class today and can provide a stern examination. (1) PHANTOM BLADE hasn’t lived up to early promise but can come on for his 5th place back from a spell three weeks ago while (2) SANGSEUNG MULGYEOL, (9) FOR MY SIS and (10) GIMAKIN JILJU are always reliably competitive.
|Selections||(3) Gabo Star (7) Gifted Sun (1) Phantom Blade (9) For My Sis|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Rating||9, 10, 2=3, 6|
|Start-200M||7, 3, 1, 4, 2|
|200M-Finish||2, 9, 5, 11, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 15:45
(11) MIDAS ROAD stepped up in class last time just didn’t quicken enough, finish in 3rd at this distance. He gets a chance to return to winning ways today. He narrowly beat (7) KATIE STAR into 4th that day and she too will be competitive as indeed will (9) SUPER START, who beat Katie Star at class and distance in July before going on to disappoint when stepped up to 1400M last month, a race in which (2) ARGO CHAMP finished 2nd. (1) HUIMANG ROCKET was 5th on her first attempt at this level last month and should look to better it here while (8) JINNYEONGUI GEOIN is up in class today and has a bit to find but will be backed.
|Selections||(11) Midas Road (9) Super Start (7) Katie Star (2) Argo Champ|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Rating||3, 10, 4=9, 11|
|Fast Starters||1, 3, 5, 7|
|Start-200M||7, 3, 10, 5, 9|
|200M-Finish||11, 7, 9, 8, 1|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 16:10
Small but competitive field and Peter Wolsley’s (3) PRIVATE DANCER showed he’s capable at this level with 2nd place (to a long-shot winner) at the beginning of the month, beating (2) WIN GO MAN into 3rd and can match or better that here. (4) BEOLMAUI SIN is the main danger, up in class and with more wins likely to come. (5) MACHU PICCHU was a strong 4th at class and distance a month ago and can look for the places here with (6) YEONGUNG BOLT the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Private Dancer (4) Beolmaui Sin (5) Machu Picchu (2) Win Go Man|
|Rating||5, 6, 3, 4, 2|
|Fast Starters||2, 5|
|Start-200M||3, 2, 5, 4, 7|
|200M-Finish||4, 3, 5, 6, 1|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open – Jeju Governor’s Cup (KOR G3) / 1400M / Allowance / KRW 300 Million / 16:40
(6) OTTUG OTTUGI won the Korean Oaks and was 7th in the Korea Sprint here at Seoul three weeks ago. So far, the top filly of her generation, she can prove that here. She will try to make all. Her stablemate (3) SPECIAL ROOKIE was surprisingly beaten by (5) SANTA GLORIA in a trial for this race at the end of last month and both those will be contenders here. (8) CHANG SE was the winner of the corresponding trial at Seoul, beating (1) SMART TIME into 2nd, and will be dangerous as will (9) TOUCH FLYING and (13) RAON AMOS, both of whom come in on a run of four consecutive victories. The experienced Stakes winner (7) PINOT NOIR can never be ruled out of finding the money either and nor can (11) INDIAN STAR.
|Selections||(6) Ottug Ottugi (3) Special Rookie (8) Chang Se (5) Santa Gloria|
|Next Best||13, 7, 11, 9, 1|
|Rating||7=11, 6=9, 8|
|Fast Starters||4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13|
|Start-200M||11, 6, 8, 13, 4|
|200M-Finish||12, 5, 7, 9, 2|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 105 Million / 17:05
(2) MACHEON BOLT was 2nd to Hong Kong’s Super Jockey in the Korea Sprint in Seoul three weeks ago over 1200M. He prefers further and has to be favourite to take the honours here. (8) GAMDONGUIBADA was an also-ran that day but should be much happier back on her home track while (9) MS. MARGAUX won on her first outing for trainer Thomas Gillespie earlier in the month and shouldn’t be too far away. (3) HEBA seems to have lost a touch of form recently but an apprentice jockey gives her much less weight to carry than usual. (6) TAPIPOINT, 3rd to Macheon Bolt last start, can look to place.
|Selections||(2) Macheon Bolt (8) Gamdonguibada (3) Heba (9) Ms. Margaux|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Rating||8, 3, 2=9, 4|
|Fast Starters||4, 5, 6|
|Start-200M||6, 8, 5, 4, 2|
|200M-Finish||3, 2, 9, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 / 1900M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million / 17:30
(4) SHAMROCKER is giving plenty of weight away but remains a strong contender here to get what would be his 3rd win in his last four starts. A beneficiary of that weight is (9) SAMBONG, who was a strong 2nd on his first try at this class at the beginning of the month. He may try to lead all the way. (3) SUPER COMMANDO is up in class and has a bit to find but may be considered. (1) NEULPUREUN TIGER and (10) NAMSAN CHUKJE may also contest for places.
|Selections||(4) Shamrocker (9) Sambong (3) Super Commando (10) Namsan Chukje|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Rating||4, 5, 7, 6, 9|
|Fast Starters||2, 3, 9|
|Start-200M||10, 6, 3, 9, 5|
|200M-Finish||4, 7, 3, 9, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 18:00
Both (4) ACE RUNNER and (8) KENTUCKY YEONIN are up in class following maiden wins on what for both of them was their second start last time out. Both made all and both will be looking for the same again here. (10) KODIAK LOVE beat a number of these when running 2nd at class and distance on September 4th and will be in contention once more with (6) KOREA JEONGSANG and (12) JEONMUHUMU among a number of others with claims.
|Selections||(8) Kentucky Yeonin (4) Ace Runner (10) Kodiak Love (12) Jeonmuhumu|
|Next Best||6, 8, 7|
|Rating||2, 10, 9, 8=12|
|Fast Starters||3, 4, 5, 8, 9|
|Start-200M||11, 5, 8, 4, 3|
|200M-Finish||4, 6, 11, 10, 2|