Trials at both Seoul & Busan for October’s Jeju Governor’s Cup are the main events at both tracks today. Big firleds at Seoul, slightly smaller in Busan but plenty of action nonetheless Seoul has 11 races from 10:50 to 18:00 and Busan 6 from 13:00 to 17:00.
English race cards are here. Notes on selected races below:
Busan Race 1
|Selections||(2) Impassioned Marine (4) Major Winner (5) Amazing Daeji (6) Choegang Monster|
|Next Best||7, 1, 3|
|Fast Starters||4, 5|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 13.35
(3) MIRACLE TO YOU and (6) YEONDARA are both up in class following maiden wins last start and while the former has a good chance of following up here it may be that at the 16th time of asking, (1) SEMYEONG LIGHT finally makes the breakthrough here. She was a good 2nd in a decent event a month ago and can come from off the pace here. (2) MISUJAE and (4) YEOUI KING should go close while another long-time maiden (8) JOEUN DAY also looks n with a shout of the placings.
|Selections||(1) Semyeong Light (3) Miracle To You (4) Yeoui King (2) Misujae|
|Next Best||8, 6, 7, 5|
|Fast Starters||3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 2: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 13.45
(4) JANTEUGAREU has won three of five so far and is banker favourite here to provide apprentice jockey Jung Do Yun with his first race victory. He should get an easy lead and make all. The others are up against it but (2) MAHURU and (7) TAEGWON CHAMP are always competitive and can run the favourite close, with (1) YEONGGWANGUICHUBOK and (6) PARTYINTHEDESERT other contenders to place.
|Selections||(4) Janteugareu (2) Mahuru (7) Taegwon Champ (6) Partyinthedesert|
|Next Best||1, 3|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:10
We’ve had (7) DIDORPHIN on top plenty of times before and he’s let us down but after four 2nd places, we have to make him top choice once more to finally score. There’s not a huge amount of pace here and the race can set up nicely for him. (3) NAREUMUI YEONGHON was 5thbehind Didorphin back in March and returned to action after four months off in July with a solid 3rd place at class and distance and should be looking to better that today. (5) BOM DON I is highest rated and is already a winner at class and distance while (6) HWANHUIUISUNGAN and (10) MINSON also look set to be competitive.
|Selections||(7) Didorphin (3) Nareumui Yeonghon (5) Bom Dong I (10) Minson|
|Next Best||6, 11, 1, 2|
|Outsiders||4, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 14:30
(7) RUN STAR made all to pull off a surprisingly comprehensive victory over class and distance on July 24th. An apprentice jockey keeps the weight down nicely here and he must be respected. He may not be favourite though. Both (4) USEUNG CHEONJI and (6) BAEKDU YEONGUNG are capable performers at this level and the latter in particular, following two 2nd places at this distance, beaten by decent ones both times, looks ready to win. (3) MAYA COUNTRY was 7th behind Run Star last start and can get closer today while Thomas Gillespie’s (5) MUJEOK SINHWA can also improve on recent efforts.
|Selections||(6) Baekdu Yeongung (7) Run Star (4) Useung Cheonji (3) Maya Country|
|Next Best||5, 8, 2, 1|
|Fast Starters||5, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 14:55
Big competitive field here but (2) JINDALLAE, whose one prior start was all the way back last October, gets the nod based on an impressive – and very quick – performance in a recent trial. The only prior winner in the field, (7) HAPPY TODAY was slightly disappointing dead-heating for 5th last time out but gets another chance here in softer company while (8) JEOLDAE BYEONGGI has been getting closer in two recent outings at 1000M and will be on the speed early. (4) TOTAL WALKER will also be a fast starter and can stay on to dispute the places with (10) LEGEND KING and (14) LOST IN DRAMA looking best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Jindallae (7) Happy Today (14) Lost In Drama (4) Total Walker|
|Next Best||8, 10, 3, 6, 12, 5|
|Outsiders||1, 9, 11, 13|
|Fast Starters||2, 4, 5, 8|
Busan Race 4
|Selections||(6) Blue Storm (10) Haneolui Jilju (7) Baramui Jeonseol (8) Pokpung Sinhwa|
|Next Best||11, 1, 2, 9|
|Outsiders||3, 4, 5|
|Fast Starters||3, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million / 15:45
(1) SAMBA FESTIVAL has won three from nine and while yet to strike at this class, she wasn’t far off in an all-filly event at this distance last month. Expect her to lead here from gate 1 and once there she may be difficult to dislodge. (2) FLY WING is up in class and back in trip following a six-length victory over 1700M and with the stable on top form now, looks dangerous again. (6) SARYEONI KING disappointed on his first try at this level last start but can be given another chance here while the up in class pair of (7) JEONGSANGUI BIT and (10) RAIN SKY look best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Samba Festival (2) Fly Wing (6) Saryeoni King (10) Rain Sky|
|Next Best||7, 9, 4, 8|
|Outsiders||3, 5, 11|
|Fast Starters||1, 6|
Busan Race 5: Class Open / 1400M / Allowance / KRW 150 Million / 16:10
Fillies and mares only in this trial for a Group race at Seoul at the beginning of October. (3) HOSEUNGJIBYEOK was 3rd in the Korean Oaks in June but is more suited to races around just the one turn and she’s the pick here having struck by almost three lengths at this distance a month ago. Main danger is another three-year-old. (6) SPECIAL ROOKIE was an eye-catching thirteen-length winner over 1200M three weeks ago. She was 4th in the Oaks and there looks to be plenty more to come from here. 5th in the Oaks was (7) SANTA GLORIA. She returned to action last month and smashed the track record for 1300M when winning by eight lengths. Different conditions today but she will be competitive. While the three-year-olds look to have the edge here, (1) HWANGGEUMBITJIJUNG and (2) JIBONG SARANG can be considered.
|Selections||(3) Hoseungjibyeok (6) Special Rookie (7) Santa Gloria (2) Jibong Sarang|
|Next Best||1, 8, 5, 4|
|Fast Starters||3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open / 1400M / Allowance / KRW 200 Million / 15:35
Seoul’s trial for the same Group race. (2) CHANG SE was a very good winner over this distance at the end of last month, her second consecutive dominant win and she could very well make all here. (7) MENI MONEY looks to be finally living up to her early potential. She beat a couple of these last start when an impressive class 2 winner at this distance and is the main danger here. Those two look superior to the rest although (4) QUEEN CREEK CAT will be on speed early and can keep her run of recent good form going. (5) SMART TIME was beaten by Meni Money at 1800M in June but is a proven performer in tougher company than this while (10) SINGGEUREOUNBOM beat Chang Se back in May and comes in here in good form.
|Selections||(2) Chang Se (7) Meni Money (4) Queen Creek Cat (5) Smart Time|
|Next Best||10, 9, 3|
|Outsiders||1, 6, 8|
|Fast Starters||2, 4|
Busan Race 6 / Class 2 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 17:00
(10) BIT BLADE has won seven of eight in an interrupted career so far and having beaten three of these when winning at this distance by a neck at the end of June, breaking from gate 10 that day too, he is favoured to prevail once more. It won’t be easy though. (7) JIBONG SEUNGNI got within five lengths of Rock Band over 1800M last month, has a 4.5kg weight advantage and will come from just off the pace here. A solid class and distance winner in June, he has every chance. Those two will be the market leaders although (1) CHOEGANG PLUS can be respected having beaten four of these when unexpectedly winning at class and distance last month. (3) QUEEN TWO HEARTS and (5) PUREUN ACE were among those beaten that day but will be favoured to go better here.
|Selections||(10) Bit Blade (7) Jibong Seungni (5) Pureun Ace (3) Queen Two Hearts|
|Next Best||1, 8, 4|
|Outsiders||2, 6, 9|
|Fast Starters||3, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 / 1700M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million / 17:30
(1) GUY START has just the one win from 29 outings but could be on for a second having gone well in recent outings. Top weight is an issue though and the up in class and distance (4) DAEBOBAE could be the one to take advantage. A solid winner of an all-filly event over 1300M on July 23rd, she looks very nicely in here. As does (5) IGWANGSASEOK who is up in class but was a winner at this distance on July 31st. He made all that day but may be content to let others lead here. (3) CHARISMA QUEEN and (7) LITTLE BROWN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Daebobae (5) Igwangsaseok (1) Guy Start (3) Charisma Queen|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Starters||2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 110 Million / 18:00
Big competitive class 1 handicap to finish with. (2) SILVER WOLF was a very good 3rd in the KNN Cup at Busan last month and as one of a number carrying light weights, looks very nicely in here to return to the winner’s circle for the first time since one day under a year ago. (1) HALLA CHUKJE hasn’t raced since a similarly impressive 2nd in the Ttukseom Cup in early June and will join Silver Wolf in racing prominently early on. She is a threat. (13) SAMJEONG JEGUK is better than his four wins from seventeen suggest and can be considered. (8) GUMANSEOK returned to form with a 2nd place over 2000M last month just a neck in front of (12) SPACE PORT and the latter will have backers here.
|Selections||(2) Silver Wolf (1) Halla Chukje (13) Samjeong Jeguk (12) Space Port|
|Next Best||8, 3, 4, 5, 7|
|Outsiders||6, 9, 10, 11|
|Fast Starters||1, 2, 3, 11|