It’s the long holiday weekend in Korea – an unexpected one too as Friday was only officially designated a holiday last week! No rest for the races though with a ten-race card at Busan starting at 12:40pm.
There is racing at Busan on Sunday as well with Seoul hosting cards on both Saturday and Sunday. See here for English race cards. Notes on Friday’s Busan races 2-10 as below:
Race 2: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 13:25 (KST)
(7) CHOEGANG ADVENTURE was 2nd when odds-on favourite for his second career start on April 8th. He led from gate to wire but got overtaken by a fast finisher in the closing stages. Kim Yong Geun, who rode that winner, takes the mount on Choegang Adventure today and we will expect him to not get caught this time. (5) MAJOR SUN hasn’t pushed on after a promising debut in January but looks the main danger. He was beaten by (10) SEONGGONG PLAN last start and that one too can find the minor money. (2) EUNGDAPARA is the best of a limited rest
Selections (7) Choegang Adventure (5) Major Sun (2) Eungdapara (10) Seonggong Plan
Next Best 6, 9
Outsiders 1, 3, 4, 8
Fast Starters 7, 10
Race 3: Class 6 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 14:10 (KST)
(9) YEONGGWANGUI CAMP was a much improved 2nd on what was just his second start on March 18th and is the slight favourite to score here. He beat (1) DANCER by four lengths that day and that one, having put in a decent run since, is to be considered the main danger again. (2) DORAON GASOKDO also showed considerable improvement last time and can go well with (4) GAMSEONG POKBAL and (6) JEONSEOLUI LEGEND the others to look out for.
Selections (9) Yeonggwangui Camp (1) Dancer (2) Doraon Gasoko (4) Gamseong Pokbal
Next Best 6, 3,
Outsiders 5, 7, 8
Fast Starters 1, 9
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 15:00 (KST)
(10) BEOLMAUI SIN was beaten four-lengths into second over 1200M a month ago but should have come on for that and can get his maiden win here. The Kim Young Kwan-trained (6) BLACK SAPPHIRE registered a solid 4th on debut on April 3rd and can also improve while (12) PYGMY beat three of her rivals here when racing 2nd in weak company last time and can find the money again. (5) WINNING GILI comes in fresh and can at least match the two 3rd places she has already achieved while (11) KWAEHAN EUTTEUM beat (1) YEONGUNG CHULGYEOK over this distance just two weeks ago and those two look to be the others to take into account.
Selections (10) Beolmaui Sin (6) Black Sapphire (5) Winning Gili (12) Pygmy
Next Best 1, 11, 4, 3
Outsiders 2, 7, 8, 9
Fast Starters 6, 10, 12
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:50 (KST)
With three 2nd places and a 3rd from her last four starts, Bart Rice’s (3) LOAD CELL looks ready to win and should claim this. She will go forward early and shouldn’t be beaten. There are rivals here with winning experience though. (11) OH MY CAPTAIN is up in class having made the breakthrough on his seventh start a month ago and can go well while (8) DAEHO GANGJA and (10) MYSTIC PARK can improve on slightly lacklustre performances last time. Racing for the first time this year is (7) GLOBAL KOREA. He showed plenty of promise in four starts last term and is the wildcard here. He was average in trials.
Selections (3) Load Cell (11) Oh My Captain (8) Daeho Gangja (7) Global Korea
Next Best 10, 2, 4, 1
Outsiders 5, 6, 9, 12
Fast Starters 1, 2, 3
Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 16:40 (KST)
(10) BLACK TETRA gave herself too much to do when sent off the even-money favourite at this distance three weeks ago. She made it up to 4th that day and given more of a chance today, she can win this. Also capable is (8) MINE. She was 2nd over 1400M last time out and is more than capable of a repeat. The much more experienced (3) SORICHYEO is a capable money winner at this level and can at least match his 3rd place of two weeks ago while (2) FOREVER VICTORY is yet to win in nine outings but in this company can be aiming for the money. (1) POWER CHAMP returned from six months out to get his maiden win on April 8th and while up in class here, can also be considered.
Selections (10) Black Tetra (8) Mine (3) Sorichyeo (1) Power Champ
Next Best 2, 9, 7
Outsiders 4, 5, 6, 11
Fast Starters 6, 9
Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:20 (KST)
Open contest this but (11) HAEUNDAE GISANG comes in looking for a hat-trick of wins and is the slight pick to do just that. She beat two of these last time at 1300M and can come from just off any early pace to strike again. (4) KKEUTPAN DAEJANG keeps threatening to add to his two wins and enters here after back to back 2nd places while (5) BYEOLMURI is up in class having won a decent class 5 race at 1300M on April 10th. Both are dangers as is (12) MUHAN SPEED. (8) JAYU DAERO has been beaten by both Haeundae Gisang and Kkeutpan Daejang recently but should himself beat plenty of the rest of these.
Selections (11) Haeundae Gisang (5) Byeolmuri (4) Kkeutpan Daejang (8) Jayu Daero
Next Best 12, 7, 3, 1, 2
Outsiders 6, 9, 10
Fast Starters 1, 4, 5, 9
Race 8: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 18:00 (KST)
(10) BADA STAR beat four of these when running 2nd over 1300M four weeks ago. That was just his second start with his debut having been all the way back last June and he can have come on for it and can win here. (3) ARION METAL was 3rd that day, a length behind and can challenge once more while (8) GLORY DAYS beat (4) USEUNG BEONJJEOK as the pair raced 3rd and 5th over 1200M three weeks ago and both should be competitive here. Bart Rice’s debut-maker (11) WONIL BULPAE could well provide the stiffest test though, having looked very sharp in his trial.
Selections (10) Bada Star (11) Wonil Bulpae (3) Arion Metal (8) Glory Days
Next Best 4, 6, 2
Outsiders 1, 5, 7, 9
Fast Starters 8
Race 9: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:30 (KST)
(7) OTTUG OTTUGI was 2nd in the KRA Cup Mile, the first leg of the Triple Crown, a month ago but misses out on the Derby with her stable opting to end two others. Instead she tries 1800M for the first time here and will be strong favourite to lead from gate to wire. The distance is perhaps the one thing that can beat her and if it does then (5) JUNGANG DAEHAE and (2) WONDERFUL TODAY, who raced 2nd and 4th at this distance on April 1st look best placed to take advantage. (1) BADA GANGJA and (4) FURIOUS PARK are next best.
Selections (7) Ottug Ottugi (5) Jungang Daehae (2) Wonderful Today (1) Bada Gangja
Next Best 4, 9, 3
Outsiders 6, 8
Fast Starters 3, 7, 9
Race 10: Class 3 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 19:00 (KST)
(1) SEORABEOL GONGJU has finished no worse than 3rd in each of her last seven outings, winning two of them and can maintain that solid form today. She’s the favourite here. (4) SANGSEUNG JUNIOR returns to action for the first time since last August. He won three of his fist seven starts and looked sharp enough in a trail last week to merit serious consideration here. (7) SMART GENTLEMAN was out of his depth in the KRA Cup Mile last month but got to within a head of Seorabeol Gongju over 1200M in March and can go close once more. (3) SEUNGNI WAVE races for the first time since last September and can be a danger.
Selections (1) Seorabeol Gongju (4) Sangseung Junior (7) Smart Gentleman (3) Seungni Wave
Next Best 5, 10
Outsiders 2, 6, 8, 9
Fast Starters 2, 7