Sunday sees Stakes racing return to Seoul and while the Sports Chosun Cup isn’t the biggest race on the calendar, it certainly offers some good punting.
Feel So Good is likely to be the heavy favourite but he’s not invincible and there are plenty in the field of 13 capable of pulling off the win – or at least finishing in the top three.
Here’s a full run-down of the field with Name [Pedigree] Sex Age (Starts/1/2/3) – Jockey
Sports Chosun Cup – Seoul Race Park – 1800M – June 1, 2014 – 16:35
1. Corner Stone [Ingrandire – Kurenai Moyuru (Merry Nice)] C 4 (17/4/1/3) – Moon Se Young
Moon Se Young steps in for the suspended Seo Seung Un aboard this colt who was a smart winner over the distance last time out when he closed from 7th for the win in the home straight. He’s back after 3 months off and won’t be favourite but he has a chance.
2. Wahaha [Ft.Stockton – Yeppeun Keum (Hurricane Sky)] G 5 (30/2/4/6) – Shinichi Terachi
Very little to recommend here, it’s over 2 years since Wahaha has won and that won’t change.
3. Spending To Me [Capital Spending – Ma Fille (Belong To Me)] M 5 (29/3/5/1) – Park Eul Woon
Third over the distance last time out, beaten 2 lengths by Corner Stone having hit the front in the final furlong. Likes to come from the back but perhaps not quite at this distance. Outside chance of another place.
4. El Campeon [Menifee – Here Comes Meme (Kipper Kelly)] G 5 (29/3/4/5) – Ikuyasu Kurakane
Consistently in the money if not consistently winning, El Campeon was beaten into 3rd by Feel So Good and My Energy last time out but he’s closer who can stay and has plenty of speed. He can’t be overlooked.
5. Nongbon Sarang [The Groom Is Red – Agua Azalita (Pine Bluff)] F 4 (16/2/3/5) – Jang Chu Youl
Won over 1700 metres at class 3 before finishing well beaten by Feel So Good in that race last month. Will need to improve here to challenge for a place.
6. My Energy [Vicar – Ich Bien (Jade Hunter) H 6 (48/4/3/2) – Yoo Seung Wan
Second to Feel So Good – by 9 lengths – last time and ahead of El Campeon, who he also beat in April. It would be a surprise to see him win here though.
7. Citius [Revere – Daecheonpung (Fiercely) C 4 (14/4/1/1) – Lee Sang Hyeok
Good win over the distance at class 3 last time. Likes to be just off the pace and if the closers fail to get into gear, he may well steal a place.
8. Geumseongi [Pico Central – Cat Beluga (Hennessy)] C 4 (16/3/6/1) – Cho Kyoung Ho
Has plenty of speed and comes off the back of two solid 2nd place finishes. Another 2nd is more likely than a win but if he must be in with a chance.
9. Feel So Good [Ft.Stockton – Courting Dreams (Eastover Court)] G 5 (10/5/0/0) – Ham Wan Sik
A winner at Calder in Florida in 2012, he’s blown hot and cold since coming home. He was certainly hot last time out, winning over the distance – and over several of this field – by 9 lengths. If he runs like that again here, then of course he wins.
10. Citadel [Sakura Seeking – Tropic (Danehill)] G 5 (25/2/6/4) – Kim Ok Sung
Another who has the ability to make a nuisance of himself. Good win over 1900 metres in March but followed it up by being well beaten last month. Difficult to receommend but again difficult to ignore for a quinella at good odds.
11. Pinot Noir [Capital Spending – Neungnyeokchungman (Pacific Bounty) F 4 (11/3/4/1) – Park Hyun Woo
Put in a decent run when 2nd at this distance last time out in March. She was ahead of Feel So Good that day and while she’ll not be favoured to repeat it, she’ll be in a lot of quinellas. Likes to be close to the pace and should stay on.
12. Dewma [Forest Camp – Wild Cat Strike (Wild Again)] F 4 (11/3/4/1) – Lee Chan Ho
Lee Shin Young’s second string is likely to try to hit the front early. Staying there will be quite another matter though.
13. Dae Ung [Pico Central – Myeongseo Gongju (Carry The Flag)] C 4 (7/4/2/0) – Choi Bum Hyun
The wildcard of the field. Hasn’t run since taking a narrow win over 1700 metres last November, he strolled comfortably through a trial in April. This should be too much too soon but some may be tempted by the likely good odds on him.
Sunday June 1
Seoul Race Park: 11 races from 10:50 to 18:00 with a performance by Girl’s Day at 3.45!!
Busan Race Park: 6 races from 12:45 to 17:00