Tough Win will give Korea a fighting chance of recording a home win when three Japanese horses come to town for the SBS Korea-Japan Goodwill Cup, the first of a two-race home and away series, at Seoul Race Park on Sunday.
The Japanese visitors; Tosen Archer, Final Score and Big Gulliver arrived in Seoul last week and have looked very impressive in morning trackwork, leading some on the backstretch to fear they may claim what would be an embarrassing 1,2,3 over the Koreans on their home soil.
They will be the favourites, but in Tough Win, a Grand Prix Stakes and Busan Metropolitan winner and former Horse Of The Year, who has won 22 of his 29 starts, Korea fields a horse who knows how to get the job done. He is joined by a few talented sprinters including some who have excelled at sprint distances, but it is Tough Win that the locals are most relieved to see lining up.
The race is the first time that foreign-trained horses have come to Korea to run. They are joined by visiting Japanese jockeys Fumio Matoba, Takehiro Kashiwagi and Daisuke Mashima. Seoul’s resident Japanese rider Ikuyasu Kurakane rides for the home team on Segye Ilbo Cup winner Indian Blue.
The race will be screened live on SBS ESPN – Korea’s most popular sports channel in a short broadcast beginning
SBS Korea-Japan Goodwill Cup – Seoul Race Park – 1400M – September 1, 2013 – 16:20
1. Pureun Miso (USA) [Malibu Moon] 3 Filly (10/4/1/3) – Jun Duck Young
2. Dongbanjaui Gijeok (USA) [Half Ours] 3 Colt (9/5/2/0) – Moon Se Young
3. Tosen Archer (JPN) [Barathea] 9 Horse (47/5/2/5) – Fumio Matoba
4. Mari Daemul (USA) [Go For Gin] 4 Colt (17/5/3/2) – Shin Hyoung Chul
5. Sydney Jewelry (AUS) [Lion Heart] 4 Colt (13/6/2/1) – Oh Kyoung Hoan
6. Celebrate Tonight (USA) [Songandaprayer] 5 Horse (24/5/2/4) – Jang Chu Youl
7. Watts Village (USA) [Forestry] 3 Colt (10/5/1/1) – Seo Seung Un
8. Gold Big (USA) [Henny Hughes] 4 Colt (24/5/1/1) – Yoo Seung Wan
9. Nolbu Manse (USA) [Simon Pure] 4 Colt (22/5/4/3) – Kim Ok Sung
10. Remember Bulpae (USA) [After Market] 3 Horse (8/4/1/1) – Jo In Kwen
11. Big Gulliver (JPN) [Tap Dance City] 5 Horse (28/8/8/2) – Takehiro Kashiwagi
12. Tough Win (USA) [Yonaguska] 6 Gelding (29/22/2/1) – Cho Kyoung Ho
13. Indian Blue (USA) [Henny Hughes] 3 Filly (10/3/2/3) – Ikuyasu Kurakane
14. Final Score (JPN) [Fusaichi Pegasus] 8 Horse (40/6/7/4) – Daisuke Mashima
(3yo’s will carry 55Kg and 4yo’s 57Kg. Fillies & Mares receive a 2Kg allowance).
Friday August 30
Busan Race Park: 11 races from 13:30 to 18:10
Jeju Race Park: 9 races from 15:10 tp 19:40
Saturday August 31
Seoul Race Park: 12 races from 13:00 to 18:10
Jeju Race Park: 9 races from 15:10 to 19:40
Sunday September 1
Seoul Race Park: 11 races from 13:00 to 18:00 including the SBS Korea-Japan Goodwill Cup at 16:20
Busan Race Park: 6 races from 16:45 to 19:40