The final fourteen for the Korean Derby which will be run at Seoul Race Park on Sunday has been announced. A sixth horse from Busan has been added, Gaeseon Janggun, second in last month’s KRA Cup Mile will take his place, ridden by Park Tae Jong. Unlike in the Cup Mile, all the visiting challengers will be ridden by Seoul based jockeys, lack of track knowledge being one of the reasons cited for the poor performance of Seoul horses at Busan. Gaeseon Janggun arrived in Seoul earlier this week to join the others who have been at the track for two weeks now. Cup Mile winner Rainmaker heads the field and will be ridden by Moon Se Young. There are two fillies, Busan’s Jeolho Chance and Seoul’s Samsimnyeonsarang. The Korean Derby is race 9 on Sunday with a post time of 17:05. Here’s a full list of runners and riders:
18/5/2008 – Korean Derby (G1) – 1800 metres (17:05)
1. Magic Victor -9/2/2/1- Shin, Hyung Cheol
Finished second to Mighty Galloper last time when favourite over 1700 meters.
2. Cheongnyenuigisang (Busan) -7/3/0/0- Choi, Beom Hyun
After an indifferent year as a juvenile, he’s won three from three this year.
3. Mighty Galloper -8/3/1/1- Yoo, Sang Wan
Has won two in a row including over 1700 metres last time out.
4. Samsimnyeonsarang (f) -7/3/2/0- Lee, Dong Kuk
A disappointing eleventh in the KRA Cup mile but won her last two outings at Seoul over shorter distances.
5. Hammer Punch -8/3/1/0- Choi, Jung Seob
Showed a lot of promise in his early races but finished 13th in the KRA Cup Mile and never figured in his one run since.
6. Gaeseon Janggun (Busan) -6/2/1/1- Park, Tae Jong
Second in the KRA Cup Mile.
7. Jeolho Chance (f) (Busan) -8/4/1/1- Kim, Hyo Seob
Third in the KRA Cup Mile. Finished fourth to Boryeong Bulbit in a handicap over the distance.
8. Ebony Storm (Busan) -10/4/0/3- Shim, Seung Tae
A mixed record but is in form winning a decent handicap last time out.
9. Cheonnyeonbulpae -6/2/3/0- Cho, Kyoung Ho
Only one bad race, otherwise always in the top two. Finished second to Chaser over the distance in April
10. Namdo Jijon (Busan) -7/1/4/0- Ham Wan Sik
Finished fourth in the KRA Cup Mile and second to Rainmaker in his previous outing.
11. Rainmaker (Busan) -6/3/3/0- Moon, Se Young
Never outside the top two finishers and won the KRA Cup Mile last time out.
12. Dunamjae -9/3/2/0- Moon, Jung Kyun
Won his last race and finished second to the impressive Suseong TX before that.
13. Arcane -6/3/0/0- Oh, Kyung Hoan
Won three in a row before stepping up to 1700 metres last time, finishing sixth.
14. Daejanggun -9/4/0/2- Woo, Chang Gu
Finished tenth in the KRA Cup Mile but twice a winner over 1700 metres.