Cup Mile Winner Looks To Bounce Back / King Austin Can Give Wolsley First Stakes
After a dreadful performance in the Korean Derby, KRA Cup Mile winner Soseuldaemun returns to Stakes action on Sunday at his home track of Busan as he heads the field in the Gyeongnam Do-Min Ilbo Cup (Busan Race 5, 16:15).
So impressive in the Cup Mile, Soseuldamun turned up to Seoul having shed twenty kilos and looked a shadow of his real self as he trailed home with the also-rans behind winner Gwangyajeil. Nevertheless, the word from Busan is that he is back in shape and he’ll be among the favourites in what is set to be an open race.
The Do-Min Ilbo is a handicap and topping the weights is the likely favourite, Dongseo Jeongbeol. He’s won over the distance and last time out recorded a quite ridiculous 18 length win over what seemed a competitive field. Less of a known quantity but also set to be dangerous is Heukdujanggun. The colt is untried at anything over six and a half furlongs but connections are confident he’ll have no trouble getting the nine furlong trip.
Then there is King Austin. Owned and bred by Isidore Farm, could he be the one to give Australian trainer Peter Wolsley a much deserved first Korean Stakes winner? He could. Proven at the distance and with top jockey Jo Sung Gon on board, the small foreign community in Korean racing will be lumping on.
As for outsiders, Gangho Gullim is a proven winner while Enough To Win is an intriguing entry having last raced in October last year. Meanwhile, new Japanese jockey Akane Yamamoto gets her first Korean Stakes ride on what is set to be a very long shot, Choego Yeongung.
Here’s a full list of the runners with pedigrees, age, sex, weight to be carried, race records and riders. All are Korean bred:
Gyeongnam Do-Min Ilbo Stakes – Busan Race Park – 1800M – Sunday July 10, 2011 – 16:15
1. Choego Yeongung [Lost Mountain – Share The Lot (Gaius)] 4-C-53Kg (18/1/3/5) – Akane Yamamoto
2. Gamun Daejangun [Meisei Opera – Wild Triple (Military)] 3-G-53.5Kg (8/2/3/1) – Chae Gyu Jun
3. Yeonsok Yeonseung [Social Charter – Tapas (Sky Classic)] 4-F-51Kg (20/2/3/2) – Kim Tae Kyung
4. Heukdujanggun [Vicar – Glorious Thunder (Thunder Gulch)] 3-C-56Kg (7/4/1/0) – Park Geum Man
5. Black Ruby [War Zone – Valent Hero (Always A Classic)] 4-F-53.5Kg (12/3/5/0) – Jo Chan Hoon
6. Dongseo Jeongbeol [Vicar – Rendezvous Bay (Wonderloaf)] 3-C-56.5 (7/4/1/0) – You Hyun Myung
7. Perfect Made [Creet Cat – Our Ramblin Rose (Demaloot Demashoot)] 4-C-53Kg (23/2/4/3) – Lim Sung Sil
8. King Austin [Yehudi – Sunset Key (Citidancer)] 3-C-54Kg (7/2/2/2) – Jo Sung Gon
9. Gangho Gullim [Mujaaxif – Our Kaapstad (Kaapstad)] 4-C-55Kg (7/5/1/0) – Oh Young Il
10. Soseuldaemun [Meisei Opera – This Ole Way (Vigors)] 3-C-55.5Kg (11/3/3/1) – Toshio Uchida
11. Dongbangmiin [Yehudi – Pyeonghwaroun (Kingsview)] 4-F-52.5Kg (15/4/2/3) – Song Keong Yun
12. Daeseung Yegam [Silent Warrior – Tolp’ung-yegam (Land Rush)] 3-C-53.5Kg (12/3/1/2) – Jo Chang Wook
13. Enough To Win [Creek Cat -Skeemo (Meadowlake)] 4-G-55.5Kg (11/4/1/1) – Choi Si Dae
Sunday July 10
Seoul Race Park: 11 races from 11:10 to 18:10
Busan Race Park: 6 races from 12:30 to 17:10