Sunday sees meetings at both Seoul and Busan. Seoul has an 11-race card from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan the action runs from 12:00 to 16:40. The feature race is Busan’s finale involving 2000M track-record holder Fantastic Man, facing off with the likes of Blue Chipper, Great King and Smart Prince in a fourteen-runner field. All betting locations are open but attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app. Evidence of up to date vaccination against Covid-19 is required. Here are the previews
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies to kick things off and five of the twelve are racing for the first time. (8) HAPPY MIX has earned favourite status following good 4th place on debut in a fast time on December 19th when she sat midfield from a wide gate and ran on well. The draw is a little better this time and she has every chance. (5) JEONGSANG FIGHTING’s one race so far was back in July of last year when she put in a fair effort over this distance. She looked very well when trialing up on Christmas Eve to requalify and much more can be expected this time around. (3) SAENGIL SEONMUL should improve on the 8th place she scored on debut in November and can be expected to be on pace from a good gate. Of the first-time starters, (7) SPEAR GOLD and (6) CITY CHARM both trialed up well enough and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(8) Happy Mix (5) Jeongsang Fighting (3) Saengil Seonmul (7) Spear Gold|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens. (7) EUNHYE looks very much the one to beat having led almost the entire way around at this distance on November 20th, only to be caught by a good winner and finish in 2nd place. He’ll be on speed or handy here and this time can go all the way. (2) HANGANG BOSS was a solid 4th on his first try at this distance on December 11th, only narrowly missing out on 3rd. He can have come on for that run and be considered for better here. (8) EAGLE POINT came from well off the pace to run 2nd on debut over 1000M on November 27th. The step up in trip should suit and he’ll be coming home fast again. (4) GOOD NISEN was further back in the same race on his own debut having previously gone well in a trial and there can be improvement today. (6) THE FAVORITE was beaten by Eunhye at her latest start but has been consistent across three outings so far and should be competing for a place.
|Selections||(7) Eunhye (2) Hangang Boss (8) Eagle Point (4) Good Nisen|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
While it’s fair to say that (5) GOLD KAISER has mixed her form across three starts so far, her bad run came when drawn very wide and her two good ones when drawn similarly to today, including at her latest when a front-running 3rd over this distance. Just like today, that was in restricted filly and mare company, and this could be her day. (11) DONGHAENG raced twice last Spring, finishing 2nd on both occasions. She returns here after thirty-four weeks out having run well in a competitive trial in December in which she led for much of the way around alongside good horses. She has every chance of going well first-up. (1) WELLBEING CHAMPION ran on pleasingly for 5th on debut over 1000M in December. She comes up in trip and 4kg in the weights here without an apprentice aboard but from the inside, she may just sneak into the places. (13) FIRST ROAD and (7) RAON THE PEARL are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Gold Kaiser (11) Donghaeng (1) Wellbeing Champion (13) First Road|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies greet the starter in the opener at Busan with four of the twelve racing for the first time. (11) BEAUTY BROWN is set to start a hot favourite having beaten a couple of these on her way to 2nd place on debut in a similar event on December 17th, when she led for much of the way around. She drew even wider that day so the barrier shouldn’t be a problem and she should go one better. The logical main challengers are a couple of the first-time starters. (4) HOLLYWOOD PARTY is the pick of these having run 2nd in a trial in a decent time although (7) KF ONE stopped the clock competitively too in her heat and with a 4kg weight allowance can make an impact. Returning to those with prior experience, (3) WONDERFUL CUTIE and (9) HAPPY SONG SONG perhaps have the greatest chance of improving.
|Selections||(11) Beauty Brown (4) Hollywood Party (7) KF One (3) Wonderful Cutie|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three and four-year-old maidens. (8) TIZ BAROWS will be a warm favourite having debuted well over 1300M on December 11th when going right back and then finishing off very well. The additional half-furlong should suit, and he is the one to beat. (9) NEW A ONE improved at start number two when runner-up at 1200M with a couple of today’s rivals behind him. He too went right back that day before running on and should appreciate a bit more distance here. (4) P N S CHANCE has been consistent across her three outings to date and is yet another who may like a bit of extra distance as she has been doing her best work late on each occasion. If you prefer a front-runner, then (3) BE CRAZY may be the one to go for. He has been on pace in both starts so far, finishing 4th both times, most recently behind New A One and from a nice draw will be up in front early again. (1) GEOLJAK WOMAN another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Tiz Barows (9) New A One (4) P N S Chance (3) Be Crazy|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 13|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to oppose (1) MONEY CASE here. He’s run 4th and 2nd in two starts so far, both at 1000M and the latter in a fast time when handy throughout and running on. He looks to be working towards a maiden win and it can come here from the inside gate and under the track’s most in-form jockey. (5) GEUMA STARLET drops back in trip after an inauspicious spin around 1400M when favourite on Christmas Eve. Draw a line though that and instead go on his previous effort when 2nd at this distance on December 5th, beating a few of these in the process. You Hyun-myung climbs aboard today and he should be back in the finish. Also coming back in trip is (10) CHIEF OFFICER. He has the fastest time among these for the distance and gets a 4kg claim today. He may need some early luck from a relatively wide draw though. (6) YEONGGWANGUI RIDER ran 5th behind Geuma Starlet in early December having briefly led. He has trialed since then and should strip fitter. (4) SORI TAEPUNG resumes after eight months out and while he will need this, could sneak some minor money.
|Selections||(1) Money Case (5) Geuma Starlet (10) Chief Officer (6) Yeonggwangui Rider|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) GOLD K comes in off a good 2nd place at this class over the 1400M on December 5th when only narrowly beaten. He has mixed his form but has run good times at this distance too and from a nice draw can get on pace in this big field and can win. (7) SMART JEONSA is still a maiden but comes up in class here following three runner-up finishes from six attempts, including his lates two, both at 1200M. There could be more improvement in the tank, and he can measure up in this company. (13) M J BEST doesn’t get the best of the draw but has consistently run good times at this distance. His racing style means that he doesn’t need to lead so if he can find a comfortable spot, he should be coming home strong late on. So too (10) TEN BAGGER, who won at this distance at class 6 level two spots back and while he weakened at 1400M on his first try at this class, he can go better today. (11) ROCK FIGHTER another with placing hopes.
|Selections||(5) Gold K (7) Smart Jeonsa (13) M J Best (10) Ten Bagger|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Really good-looking race but a standout top pick. (2) BEOLMAUI STAR comes in with a 100% record to defend. He is two for two with his wins being all the way scores at 1000M and 1200M both in fast times. He is up in class and in trip here but looks to have scope for more development and can make it three from three here. He runs into others in good form though. (3) DONGTEUJA BOY ran 3rd in hos first two outings but has since won two in a row to also come up rapidly in class. His latest win was at this distance, leading gate to wire in a good time back in October and he too has potential for more progress. The pair will be dueling for the lead from the gate. (8) CHEONNYEONUIYAKSO is one who may take advantage if they over-race. He came from just off the pace for a good 3rd at class and distance on December 17th and is in the placing hunt again. (11) CHEONHA NUMBER ONE is another rapidly up in class after back-to-back wins. He will need to improve a bit more than the other hat-trick seekers but can be competitive. (1) MARK ONE another in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Beolmaui Star (3) Dongteuja Boy (8) Cheonnyeonuiyakso (11) Cheonha Number One|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Big field of fillies and mares here but we’ll side with (12) NEMO PRINCESS, who steps back marginally in trip following a runner-up finish at start number two over 1300M on December 11th, leading almost all the way only to be denied late on. She previously won easily on debut over 1000M. The concern here is the draw but if she can get a bit of luck at the start, she may take some beating. (1) WOL YEONG I gets the best of the draw. She is yet to win in thirteen attempts but has four runner-up finishes to her name including at her latest at class and distance on December 12th. She will be in this a long way. (7) PURPLE K is another who has a super quick time over the 1000M to her name. She too led on her latest start but weakened to 3rd, beaten by Wol Yeong I. She’s worth another chance here. (10) SOEWAKKOT and (2) COOL PRINCESS are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(12) Nemo Princess (1) Wol Yeong I (7) Purple K (10) Soewakkot (2) Cool Princess|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 12, 13|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) KING ALLIE returned from almost six months out to practically make all for an easy win over 1200M at class 5 level on December 10th. He is accordingly up in class but marginally down in the weights and from the inside gate should lead again and will be strong favourite to win again. It’s been more than a year since we saw (8) CLEAR win on debut in December 2020. He returned to the track in a trial on Christmas Day 2021 and put in a front-running performance. Seo Seung-un is engages and a bold showing first-up would be no surprise. (5) AMOR FATI was an all the way class and distance winner two starts back with three of today’s rivals behind him. He could only manage 5th on his return in a good race on December 10th but from a slightly better draw can be given another chance here. (9) CAPTAIN STEALTH and (7) ENDLESS RUNNING are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) King Allie (8) Clear (5) Amor Fati (9) Captain Stealth|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race. (13) DAESAN TEUKGEUP will need to overcome a wide draw if he s to return to the winner’s circle. He won three in a row to be rapidly promoted to this class and finishes a fair 5th on his first crack at it over 1400M on November 28th. The drop back in trip today can suit and with a bit of luck he has claims. Probable favourite is (5) SECRET BOSS. HE comes in with very consistent recent form that includes a class and distance win two starts back. He is tactically versatile and while he may not be the quickest in the race, he is sure to be in the finish again. (1) MONEY CHAMP gets a great draw and a light weight and having beaten three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance in a fast time on December 11th, must warrant more respect here. (12) VICEROY is another who, like Daesan Teukgeup, will need to overcome a wide draw. He races for the first time since running 2nd to Secret Boss at class and distance on November 14th and has placing claims again. (3) GLOBAL SUN one of many others with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(13) Daesan Teukgeup (5) Secret Boss (1) Money Champ (12) Viceroy|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 14|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
We’ll give another chance to (5) LANE KILLER here. True he has been beaten favourite twice in a row now, but he has had excuses both times, primarily wide draws in big fields. He has a good draw in a relatively small field today and with proven ability at the distance, he can return to winning ways. The big danger is perhaps (7) AFLEET TAPIT. He steps up in trip to two turns for the first time but is a winner at this class over 1400M and come sin having run 4th over a mile at his latest start on December 19th. He likes to settle handy or further back and then run on and looks firmly in this. (1) ONNURI GANGJA and (6) STORM BROWN were among those who beat Lane Killer at the trio’s latest start on Boxing Day and both can be in the placing hunt again. (4) ADELE SMART is another to take into consideration.
|Selections||(5) Lane Killer (7) Afleet Tapit (1) Onnuri Gangja (6) Storm Brown|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to go too far past (10) GYEONGBU DORYEONG here. He may only have won once from twenty attempts, but he looks to be working towards another and has beaten a number of these in his latest two outings when 3rd and 2nd, both at class and distance. He draws a little worse today and carries a little more weight too, but he could well have too much. (12) THAT’S MY BOY draws even worse but nevertheless shapes as the main danger. He is up in class following a maiden win at start number eight, but it came at this distance in a solid time and with Munro climbing aboard, he can measure up in this company. (7) HAWKUI YEONGGWANG has the fastest time among these at the distance and while he has never finished better than 3rd, he knows how to hit the minor money in this type of race and may sneak a place. Up in class (2) JEONGMUN PRINCE and (3) GREAT EYE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Gyeongbu Doryeong (12) That’s My Boy (7) Hawkui Yeonggwang (2) Jeongmun Prince|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(5) FANTASTIC MAN comes in having run 5th in the President’s Cup at Seoul from gate fifteen on November 28th. At the start before he set a Busan track record for this distance when beating several of these with an all the way romp on November 12th. True, the track was extremely fast all that month, but the manner was super impressive and at 54kg and from a good draw, he has to go on top. (13) BLUE CHIPPER gets another new beginning with another new trainer. He was an excellent 4th n the Owners’ Cup at his last start two months ago and while he gives weight away again, don’t rule out a heroic return. Likewise, the warhorse (1) GREAT KING, now eight-years-old. He draws well today, and an apprentice takes some of the weight off. (11) SMART PRINCE was a good winner last time out at class and distance and while up in the weights today, must be respected. (12) THE SABER among others who can place.
|Selections||(5) Fantastic Man (13) Blue Chipper (1) Great King (11) Smart Prince|
|Next Best||12, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 13|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A wide-open race here. We’ll take a chance at good odds on (11) JEONGMUN SUMMIT. Disregard his latest start in the President’s Cup and instead go on his 2nd place at class and distance two starts back. The draw isn’t ideal, but this should suit. (6) SPOT FLATTER has been consistent of late and last start was midfield before running on wide to finish 3rd at class and distance behind a couple of today’s rivals on December 11th. He meets that day’s winner, Determination, 3kg better and can be considered. (8) JANGSAN BADA was a good 2nd place in that race having been bumped at the start. He too meets Determination at much better weights and should be in the finish again. (5) STEADY CHAMPION’s latest two appearances came in the Derby and Minister’s Cup. His record before that was four wins from seven and back in more amenable company, he can be given a chance. (12) DETERMINATION won the December 11th race and warrants respect. He is up 3kg and has the outside barrier but on his best form is in this.
|Selections||(11) Jeongmun Summit (6) Spot Flatter (8) Jangsan Bada (5) Steady Champion|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) DUSON MYEONGGUN has shown improvement of late and at this last start on December 19th, beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance when n pace throughout. He can go one better here. He will be vying for favourite status with (4) LUCKY YOUNG. He’s improved at all three starts so far and there was plenty to like about his latest run when 4th behind Duson Myeonggun. He was slow away that day resulting him being well back in the field, but he worked home very well to be withing three-lengths of the winner and he has claims to go better here. (12) MASEONG TUHON comes into the calculations on the back of a good last start 2nd at this class and distance. She does tend to get a bit far back in her races and then run on so will just need a bit of luck in the run and she can place. (8) BOMNALUI GIEOK hasn’t been too far away in recent starts. This is a slightly weaker field, and a place is a possibility. (9) GREEN JILJU another in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(5) Duson Myeonggun (4) Lucky Young (12) Maseong Tuhon (8) Bomnalui Gieok|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 13|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) JANGSAN CLEAR is a winner of three of his last four, all at this distance. He is up in class but significantly down in weight and from the inside gate can pick his spot and has every chance of winning again. (11) BLACK MUSK is a talented galloper who has a great record at 1400M with four ins including last start at this class. He’s up in weight and back to the 1200M but can’t be left out of the calculations. (2) PREEMAX has solid recent form and showed that class 2 is within his scope when a good 2nd to Black Musk at this class over 1400M on December 11th. He is comfortable settling on pace or in midfield and the barrier is in his favour here. (12) CLEAN UP HAPPY is ultra-consistent having been unplaced just once in twelve career starts. Last time out, he led and finished a close 2nd at class and distance. He likes to race forward so isn’t helped by the draw, but an apprentice claim brings him back into it. (8) WINNER BROWN, firmly established at this class, is another not to be ruled out.
|Selections||(1) Jangsan Clear (11) Black Musk (2) Preemax (12) Clean Up Happy|
|Next Best||8, 14|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 11, 12|