There has been a lot of rain across the peninsula so far this weekend so keep that in mind when handicapping the SUnday cards at Seoul (9 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:30):
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Twelve juveniles here and all but one of them race for the very first time. That one went well on her debut to such an extent that (4) SPEED FALCON is the pick. She settled towards the back of a small field on debut on July 18th before running on well for 3rd place. Granted she was a long way behind a very good winner and never looked like getting 2nd either but there as a decent gap to 4th and she should have benefitted a lot from the experience. (8) DREAM SPEED took two trials to qualify and was greatly improved in the second of those when overcoming the widest gate to run on for a good 3rd. (1) THE REAPER was a close at hand 4th in his trial in a fair time and the inside gate puts him right in this first-up. (7) COMPLETE LUCKY essentially ran a different trial to his heat’s speed-merchant winner, but he went around competently and along with (5) GIANT KILLING is another place chance.
|Selections||(4) Speed Falcon (8) Dream Speed (1) The Reaper (7) Complete Lucky|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A maiden with very little in the way of convinving form and accordingly (2) MY DESTINY leaps out. She comes in off a 2nd and a 3rd place finish from her latest two outings, both of them at this distance and both times sitting handy and running on. She draws very nicely here and should have too much. (3) SAVE US showed close to the front for much of the way around at this distance on debut, ultimately finishing back in 7th among a field of twelve. She should have benefited from that experience and with some natural improvement can go close today. (1) HAEUNDAE BLUE can take advantage of the inside gate to get on the early speed and should be ready to make progress from her first two appearances while (9) TRIPLE JILJU too has registered a couple of promising performances and can aim to at least match his best to date finish of 4th. Apart from My Destiny, (8) ANY LINE is the only one in the field to have a top-three finish in his record and he drops back in trip and into the placing frame here.
|Selections||(2) My Destiny (3) Save Us (1) Haeundae Blue (9) Triple Jilju|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
A maiden where the talent doesn’t exactly leap off the page. Five race here for the first time. (2) RUBY STAR put in a good trial, settling in midfield and then ran on for 3rd without being asked for too much, ending in a fair time If she brings that form to the races, she has solid claims first-up. Of the experience, not a huge amount of it is positive although (9) PRINCESS DAY didn’t do a whole lot wrong on debut, albeit she only beat two home. It was certainly better than anything else here has produced and she won’t need to improve on it too much to be in the finish. (4) P N S HAENGBOK ran well in his second trial despite having plenty going against him from a wide draw. The jockey booking gives some cause for optimism. (8) M J DOLPUNG and (11) GIJEOGUI HIM are others with experience who may improve for their previous runs but really, most here will have to be taken on trust that they can get better.
|Selections||(2) Ruby Star (9) Princess Day (4) P N S Haengbok (8) M J Dolpung|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (8) CHEONGMA HWANGHU comes in off a solid 2nd place over this distance on July 31st when she settled on pace and ran on well with no chance of getting to the winner but well clear of the 3rd place-getter. Her draw isn’t quite so good today but she has the fastest start of these and should be on pace again with every chance of going all the way. (3) HAMAN BANGEOSAN drew the widest gate on debut at 1200M on July 25th and proceeded to go ever wider once they opened and took a long time to find cover. He ran on pleasingly enough though and natural improvement from the experience along with a much better gate and an additional half-furlong make him an each-way prospect here. (1) RUN AND GUN made similarly good ground late on in the same race and she too should be running on strong at the business end. (4) IRON GIRL and (7) POWER WOLF dead-heated for 4th at 1200M on July 25th and are among others in at least the placing frame in what is a competitive race.
|Selections||(8) Cheongma Hwanghu (3) Haman Bangeosan (1) Run And Gun (4) Iron Girl|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(8) RUN RUN RUN comes in after a significantly improved showing at star number four when he ran 2nd on what was his first try at this distance. He was away slowly but rattled home nicely and a similar run will see him go close here. (5) BEST FORCE comes in off the back of some good recent form at shorter distances, most recently sitting handy and then running on for 4th in a decent time over 1300M. She is drawn well so may look to be on or close to the pace here. (1) TINA comes up in trip after a much-improved 2nd over 1200M on July 10th when for the first time she was ridden to the front early. From the inside gate she can get forward again and could go close. (2) ADELE NARAE’s form reads well, especially his last start 5th at class and distance. However, he is first-up here after almost five months out and offered few clues in a trial on August 6th. (11) SOUTH BAN has registered a couple of good times at the distance and is another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) Run Run Run (5) Best Force (1) Tina (2) Adele Narae|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies only here. (4) FIRST STAR was a good class and distance winner on July 25th, racing handy and then running on in a very similar all-filly race. The engagement of an apprentice jockey means that she meets some of her rivals from that day on even better terms and with another good draw, she can win again. First Star’s victory consigned (10) GOOD TANK to a first defeat, although the Officer filly went down by less than a length. She has led all three of her races so far so the draw is not ideal, but she remains a big threat and with a bit of improvement, can overturn the form. (11) MARK ACE has been a model of consistency with six top three finishes from ten starts. Last time at class and distance, she was handy to the lead and briefly touched the front before ending up in 2nd and she has at least placing claims again. (6) ECHO GOOD comes in off a solid 3rd place over 1300M last start. She can mix her form but looks nicely in here. Up in class but down in weight and well-drawn, (5) TAMNA HWANGHU is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) First Star (10) Good Tank (11) Mark Ace (6) Echo Good|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Three last start winners come up in class here while there are a whole host of horses with prior experience at this level who also have very solid claims. We’ll try to find some value and take a chance on apprentice Lim Da-bin and (2) ALCHAN NURI. He comes in off the back of two very good performances in quick times at this distance and coupled with the light weight and the great gate, he has a real chance. (6) FIGHTING NOW is top-rated off the back of his consistency which has seen him to six top-three finishes in ten starts, including back-to-back runner-up finishes in good times in wet tracks at this distance. He is yet to win though and does give weight away to everything else. (9) QUEENS TOUR is consistent and was a good class and distance 2nd last start having made all to win at class 6 level the time before. She may need a bit of luck from her gate but is a contender. Another contender and also drawn wide is (10) BEST TAP. He has the fastest time of any of these at the distance in his record and is another who enters in good form. (1) WONDERFUL DEVIL got a soft win last start and while she is up in class, she still has scope for a bit of natural improvement and from a nice draw, shapes as an each-way chance.
|Selections||(2) Alchan Nuri (6) Fighting Now (9) Queens Tour (10) Best Tap|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Another very competitive class 5. (12) MIRACLE SON beat three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on July 25th when he was prominent throughout. His time on a dry track that day was faster than any of the others here have achieved at the distance. He gets a terrible draw but if he can overcome that then he can go one better today. (4) B J SONG was a winner at start number two over this distance on July 11th, pretty much making all. He comes up in class but with some natural improvement and from a good draw, he should be able to lead again and be in the finish. Joining him on the early speed should be (3) D’LOVELY QUEEN. She too comes up in class following a maiden victory last start and has every chance of measuring up. (7) WONDERFUL KING was a beaten favourite behind Miracle Son last start. Yet to win in twelve, he has a good placing record and is worth another chance here. (2) HIT THE ROAD among plenty of others with placing claims.
|Selections||(12) Miracle Son (4) B J Song (3) D’Lovely Queen (7) Wonderful King|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(2) CHOEGANG BLACK was a winner two starts back over this trip at class 6 level before running 4th at 1400M on his first try at this class. He draws nicely here and still looks to have more improvement in him. (4) MAGIC JUNIOR led all the way to win at start number two over 1200M on July 10th and comes up in class as a result. He will need to improve, and he also needs to deal with the additional trip, but this isn’t the most testing of class 5 races and he draws beautifully to lead again. (7) QUEEN OF BEST can be inconsistent but if we give her a pass on her performance over 1400M at her latest start, she looks right in this. She has run fast times at this distance and should be on pace from a relatively good draw. (1) YULONG STAR is yet to run a bad race and while his times haven’t been that great, he has been competitive every time. He comes in again under a very light weight and the inside gate will give him options. (11) MARU CASTLE’s running style suggests that the wide gate won’t be too much of a problem and she is another with placing chances.
|Selections||(2) Choegang Black (4) Magic Junior (7) Queen Of Best (1) Yulong Star|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(11) RAON THE BOSS comes up a full 5kg in the weights from his four-length score at this class over 1400M on July 23rd. That was his third straight win and he led all the way from gate ten. He has made all in each of those wins including one at this distance and he has won under weights of up to 56kg, albeit at class 6. The weight and the gate make this tough, but he can still win. (7) TUHONUI BANSEOK looks as though he is still getting to grips with things but has run on well in both his latest outings, finishing in 2nd on both occasions at 1200M and 1400M. Although he comes up in the weights too, the extended trip should suit, and he has a chance. (3) CLEAN SHOT rattled home strongly for 3rd place in a fast time at class and distance on July 11th and should be running on again today, while (8) ARAM NARAE similarly comes in off a good class and distance showing and also has a good finish on her. (9) MONOPOLY only managed 6th on his latest start but has won at this distance and placed at this class and could provide some each-way interest.
|Selections||(11) Raon The Boss (7) Tuhonui Banseok (3) Clean Shot (8) Aram Narae|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(6) JANGSAN CLEAR cops a whopping 5kg for his comfortable win at class and distance on July 10th. He draws well to be on or close to the speed again and while this is clearly a tough ask, he can win again. (9) CHOEGO RACE is also a last start class and distance winner from the same day in July when he sat in 2nd behind the leader before taking things up in the straight and running on well. That was a big improvement, but he only comes up 2kg in weight and he has solid claims to go close again. (11) MAX RUN showed progress with a solid class and distance 3rd at her latest start while (2) QUICKSILVER KITTEN is still figuring things out but has done little wrong in a 3rd and a 4th from her two starts to date, finishing off well both times. (8) NAESAENGAE CHOEGO has been a bit ordinary in his latest couple of outings, but he has run a couple of very good times at this distance and is likely to be on pace from the start. It’s not impossible he could return to form.
|Selections||(6) Jangsan Clear (9) Choego Race (11) Max Run (2) Quicksilver Kitten|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
This is an absolutely super race packed with ability and at least two thirds of the field have winning claims. We’ll take a chance with the up in class (1) DIAMOND MARINE, who comes in off a super seven-length win at his distance at class 3 level on July 18th when he led all the way. His time that day was excellent – faster than anything else here has achieved – on a day when times were on the quick side but not excessively so. This is far harder, but he comes down 2kg for the rise in class, he draws the inside and if he gets to the lead again, he could be hard to catch. (3) JANGSAN DOKKI won well at this distance at class 3 level two starts back before running 2nd on his first try at this level last start. He too likes to be on pace, is nicely weighted and well-drawn and should go close. (11) GEUMA MYSTIC comes up in class and back up in trip following a strong win over 1400M in June. He has won at this distance as well at class 3 and is another who is nicely weighted. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue. Loads of others have claims too, at least on a place with (9) WORLD TOP and (10) RETURN OF SUBSIDY among them.
|Selections||(1) Diamond Marine (3) Jangsan Dokki (11) Geuma Mystic (9) World Top|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A really good race here but (1) BIG TO THE BIG is a recent winner at this class over 1400M and has beaten plenty of these across recent outings. Last start she was a narrow 2nd when ridden to be on a hot early pace and hung on well. She has led at all recent starts and given a slightly easier run from the inside gate, she can score here. (2) GLOBAL SINHWA is an improving type and has never been worse than 3rd from five outings to date. Last time out he was wide all the way and was closing on the eventual winner. A nice draw today brings him firmly into contention. (3) EAST BAN must be considered based on his last start 2nd to Big To The Big over 1400M when he settled on the pace and was strong at the finish. Like the other two leading contenders, he also has the benefit of a nice barrier today. (5) LUCKY BONGSEONG is a mare who can run fair times for this class. She comes into consideration after a front-running 3rd in a fast time at class and distance on July 11th. She should be on pace and looks a fair each-way chance. (6) BLUE MACARON holds a great time at this distance and is one of a number of others with at least placing hopes.
|Selections||(1) Bg To The Big (2) Global Sinhwa (3) East Ban (5) Lucky Bongseong|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(7) YAHO GOLDEN CAT is the marginal top pick in a race mixed form with and many chances. He is already a winner at this class and has multiple placings with a racing pattern of either leading or being handy. He hasn’t run beyond 1400M yet, but he has been doing his best work late in recent races and while he is up in weight here, looks the one to beat. (6) FEDERAL KING is up in class and down in weight on his solid staying form at class 5 level. He goes better when handy to the leaders and draws well today. (1) JEONGMUN SUMMIT beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at his latest start on July 11th over 1700M when midfield and wide early. He carries plenty of weight again but has proved himself capable of dealing with it. (10) MANSE has two nice 3rd place finishes since rising to class 4 level, the latter of which was at this distance. He likes to settle midfield and run on which should suit here. (5) GEUMA SUPREME another with placing chances.
|Selections||(7) Yaho Golden Cat (6) Federal King (1) Jeongmun Summit (10) Manse|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 1 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(5) BRIGADIER GENERAL is a galloper with plenty of natural ability and is the likely favourite here. He won two starts back defeating (albeit when getting a lot of weight) Tiz Plan and also The Gumpu. The latter turned the table son him last time when, from the inside gate, Brigadier General settled midfield and was strong at the finish to run 2nd. The Gumpu went on to win again last week. He has a mixed patter of racing, so the barrier need not be analyzed too closely, and he is the one to beat. (1) JJANG KONG broke through for his first class 1 win last start at this distance when after running wide he won comprehensively, leaving some good horses in his wake. He has been beaten twice by Brigadier General in recent outings but looks to be peaking and can get close today. (3) HEUNGHAENG JILJU debuted in class 1 with a nice 3rd to Jjang Kong last start when he was keen early. He indicated his staying potential last year when 3rd in the Minister’s Cup at today’s distance and still has scope for further improvement. (2) SHAMROCKER can’t be left out. He showed he’s still in the game with a great 2nd to Jjang Kong after being midfield and then running on. Cheongdam Dokki’s presence that day meant Shamrocker could carry a light weight that day, a privilege he doesn’t get here, but he could easily grab a place again. (4) HUSH DAEBO perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Brigadier General (1) Jjang Kong (3) Heunghaeng Jilju (2) Shamrocker|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|