Korea Cup winner Moonhak Chief will try to avoid the fate that has befallen Blue Chipper, Cheongdam Dokki and Tiz Plan over the past few weeks and win Seoul’s Sunday feature despite giving away significant weight to all of his rivals. There are behind closed doors meetings at both Seoul (10 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:05 to 17:00). Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(8) BURUI GASOK has put in two very good runs to date, has shown he can handle different track conditions and has the benefit of an apprentice claim. Last start he worked to lead from a wide draw only getting caught late on and he could be the one to beat here. Likely favourite will be one of the first-time starters. (10) GWANGYANG EUTTEUM looked good when winning a trial in a nice time, on pace all the way from the same barrier he draws today. He could easily be in the finish here. So too could (3) YEONGWANUI HAENGJIN. He looks a chance based on his last start 2nd when he was bumped early before settling handy and running on. (1) SMILE LADY is another first-timer who showed plenty of speed in her trial and draws nicely first up while (11) GREEN FEELSTAR hasn’t been very quick but hasn’t done much wrong in two midfield finishes to date.
|Selections||(8) Burui Gasok (10) Gwangyang Eutteum (3) Yeongwanui Haengjin (1) Smile Lady|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(6) ACE PRINCE has been consistent across his five starts to date. He ran well for 3rd over 1400M last time, leading in the straight and only collared close to the line and the drop back to 1200M to suit. We’ll go with him to defeat likely favourite (12) DONGHAENG. The filly showed good ability in her first start on April 25th when she was very keen early before making up a lot of ground late on. The extra furlong should be ideal and while she may need a bit of luck from the wide draw, she’ll be right in the finish. (13) CUPID KOREA has been placed in his latest two outings, both at 1400M. he has pace and even though back to 1200M a repeat of those runs puts him in the picture. (3) SONGAM CAT was a crazy priced winner two starts back at this distance in a good time. She couldn’t follow up but her latest run was better than the 9th place suggests after being slowly away and she warrants consideration. (10) MISS YANGHO the best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Ace Prince (12) Donghaeng (13) Cupid Korea (3) Songam Cat|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 13|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) P.K. ROAD is perhaps deserving of a change in luck having been in the money at least at all of her starts. Last time she settled behind the runaway leader, ultimately bringing the field across only to be passed herself late on. She’s also run well at this distance and could make the breakthrough today. Also working his way towards a win is (3) NONSTOP GISANG. He was ridden hard from gate nine last time before settling in midfield and running on strong and a repeat of that performance from a better barrier makes him a top chance. (4) ALJJA also looks to be on an upward trajectory and can continue his progress here while (12) IMUGI has also been improving across his three outings and the slight step up in trip today may suit. (11) BLACK KING drops back in trip after a useful spin around 1700M and is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) P.K. Road (3) Nonstop Gisang (4) Aljja (12) Imugi|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 12, 14|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens here. (5) ECHO RUSH has the fastest time of any of these and has been consistent across his five starts so far with two runner-up finishes to his name. An apprentice jockey helps take some weight off here and while he isn’t necessarily a front-runner, he is well drawn and can win. (10) MENI GLORY began his career with back-to-back runner-up finishes at 1000M and 1400M before putting in a lackluster effort over 1300M last time when he began poorly. Perovic remains aboard though and if he gets away well and gets on pace then he has every chance. (14) PARTY INDY is the other leading hope. She has shown some decent speed and while the draw is not ideal, she shouldn’t be too far away at the business end. It’s slim pickings beyond those with (3) TRIPLE JILJU and (7) CROWN KING STAR perhaps most likely to go close.
|Selections||(5) Echo Rush (10) Meni Glory (14) Party Indy (3) Triple Jilju|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 14|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (3) DELPHINI has been improving with every run and the way in which she resolutely runs on, especially after a poor start last time out, suggests the step up in trip is what she has been waiting for. She has finally drawn a good barrier as well and today could be her day. The only question is whether she can catch the favourite (8) QUEENS TOUR. She’s shown consistency over her own three appearances and was a fair 3rd over this trip last start when she settled midfield and ran on well. (7) NOKRICHONG is the only previous winner in the field having scored over 1200M in a fair time two starts back. She was then behind Delphini last start and will need to lift from that but there is ability there. (9) NONGBON BADA could sneak a place. She was well back but ran on well over 1000M last time and going back up in trip should help.
|Selections||(3) Delphini (8) Queens Tour (7) Nokrichong (9) Nongbon Bada|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. The only previous winner is (10) WHITE GALLOPER, who scored over this distance on April 24th with a few of these down the track behind her. She came from well back that day, as has been her style so far, and the same apprentice jockey keeps her weight down. A repeat isn’t impossible. The primary danger is (13) SECOND WIND. She came from a similarly wide just two weeks ago to run a strong 3rd. It was a decent time and we’re going to narrowly favour her to come out on top here. (4) SWEET BAND and (2) STEADY WINNER came home 3rd and 4th respectively behind White Galloper in that April race and both are capable of placing here. Similarly, (14) DREAM DANCER beat a few of these last start when registering her third 3rd place finish from six starts to date and if she can overcome the widest gate, then she too can find some money.
|Selections||(13) Second Wind (10) White Galloper (2) Steady Winner (4) Sweet Band|
|Next Best||14, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 13, 14|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(2) ENERGIZER is the one to beat here. Last start the jockey lost his irons early and as last for a long time but managed to work back to the field and then ran on well. He has a much better barrier this time and that, along with a change in luck, can see him home on top. (5) BEOLMAL DAEJANG is up in class here but down in weight on his last start when he ran 2nd after being hampered and then wide. His times indicate that he is up to this and can go close. (11) SPOT FLATTER put in a solid effort at his first turn at this class when 3rd just in front of the de-ironed Energizer. He has an outer barrier so may need a bit of luck but expect him to be challenging for the placings again. (4) EAST JILJU is a winner at 1300M, and his last outing was much better than it appears on paper when after a woeful start, he ran on well. With a cleaner break he can go close, probably at good odds. (3) NONSTOP CAT the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(2) Energizer (5) Beolmal Daejang (11) Spot Flatter (4) East Jilju|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Back to the maidens here. (7) DOCTOR CORNS has been getting progressively closer across his six starts. Last time at this distance he was on pace throughout and while he was well adrift of a very good winner, he battled on well for 2nd. He had an apprentice aboard that day so he does come up significantly in the weights here, but he is a real chance. (3) MAJOR FORCE equaled his best finish to date in 4th when stepped up to a mile for the first time on May 2nd. Seo Seung-un remains aboard he can go close again. (4) DONGBANG CAPTAIN returned from eight months out to run a strong 2nd over 1200M on April 18th. She steps up considerably in trip but the way she finished off last time suggests it can suit and she’ll be a danger. (1) CRYSTAL THINKING, a stablemate of Major Force, and (9) DOCTOR TAKE are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) Doctor Corns (3) Major Force (4) Dongbang Captain (1) Crystal Thinking|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(8) SAENAE IRENE comes in off the back of two 1800M runs and while neither were particularly strong, she has solid 1400M form too and on that basis needs consideration. Her best comes when she is placed in a handy position and she can pounce late on today. (5) DUSON JANGGUN has been running nice races at this class albeit over 1200M. His only start at this distance behind Saenae Irene is not a guide as he was bumped heavily after the start losing ground before the jockey elected to try and make it up quickly, and he ran out of steam. In this company he is surely a place chance. (3) D K ARIA has been well beaten at recent starts but always puts in a workmanlike effort. In this field and with a good barrier, workmanlike could well be enough for some money. (2) SUN FO RE and (6) SAMDAN GASOK the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(8) Saenae Irene (5) Duson Janggun (3) D K Aria (2) Sun Fo Re|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fascinating clash here as two up and comers take each other on. (2) STAR EYE comes in looking for his fourth consecutive win. He scored in a tough 1800M race last start on May 1st having previously run a super time when winning over today’s distance in March. He carries more weight than last time but has won under more so that shouldn’t be too much of a concern and he could extend his streak. Having run 2nd on debut, (1) DOCTOR FAPPIANO has been super in two subsequent outings, making all to win by as many as she pleased over both 1200M and 1400M. She is up in class and in trip but down in weights, but she is well drawn to lead, and she has every chance. It’s a toss-up but we’ll narrowly side with the filly. As for the rest, (3) MAGIC FLYING ran 3rd behind Star Eye last start and is among the contenders to place again while (7) JEONSEOLUI FIGHT enters in consistent form and should go close. (10) QUEEN UP ran well for 4th at this distance last start and that same finish position would be a reasonable target today.
|Selections||(1) Doctor Fappiano (2) Star Eye (7) Jeonseolui Fight (3) Magic Flying|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies and mares here. (1) LONDON ACTIVE has made a decent start to her career with her best runs coming when she leads. The barrier will assist her with that here and having beaten a few of these when 2nd last time out, she is very much the one to beat today. (6) BAEKRANG was one of those beaten by London Active last time out on April 18th. The pair of them were on the pace together after Baekrang used up energy getting across from a wide draw. The gate is better today, and she can certainly overturn the form on (10) SINBU, who was 4th in the same race. (13) JOYFUL K is up in class following an eight-length win over 1300M in a filly and and mare race. She’ll be competitive at this level and can sit handy before running on in the straight. (4) DANCING WITH YOU is up in class and down in weight following a class 6 win over this distance. She settled handy and ran on strong and while this is harder, a repeat of that showing should put her in the finish.
|Selections||(1) London Active (6) Baekrang (13) Joyful K (4) Dancing With You|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 11, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies and mares only. (1) GREY ANGEL is set to be the hot favourite here. She won her first two starts in fine fashion at 1200M before coming unstuck on her first try at this level. She got things back together with a strong 2nd at this distance in March and should have too much for this lot. (2) TWO TWO FAIRY and (3) DIVINE QUEEN both saw upticks in their form to both run 2nd in their respective latest outings and both look nicely in. The two have contrasting running styles with Two Two Fairy going back and running on while Divine Queen should be handy, and both will be coming strong late on. (5) TRUE SIGNATURE and (7) WISE GIRL came home 3rd and 5th respectively when racing one another at class and distance on April 25th. Wise Girl was favoured that day and can overturn the form here.
|Selections||(1) Grey Angel (2) Two Two Fairy (3) Divine Queen (7) Wise Girl|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(9) GLOBAL JOY is a really consistent filly and while she is up in class, she’ll be the one to beat. She is a winner up to 1400M and ran a good 2nd at this distance last time. Significantly down in weight, she can overcome the wide draw and lead all the way. (10) CLEANUP SHINE has placed at this class and distance and her style allows her to be handy or race midfield and run on. She recorded a good time for this class last time out when 2nd with three of these back down the track behind her and she’s a danger today. (4) MENI CHAMP needs his last run forgiven, but once you look past that, he has some credentials. He has won at this distance at class 4 and if he gets a good start, he can be in the finish. (1) WONDERFUL DIXIE ran a good 3rd last time and today has a much better barrier which can bring him into the calculations. (7) SINGSING MARY the best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Global Joy (10) Cleanup Shine (4) Meni Champ (1) Wonderful Dixie|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
Many of these raced each other at class and distance on April 25th and it was (8) YEONGGWANGUIFORCE who ran out the long shot winner, having previously had plenty of the same horses beating him a month earlier. Obviously, he warrants more respect this time, but he is up 3kg in the weights and surely, he doesn’t do it again. (6) CURLIN TIME was 2nd in that race, continuing a consistent run of form with plenty of near misses. He generally goes back and runs on and we’re going to side with him to get it right today. (2) DAEMANGUI GIL was 3rd in the April race, He likes to be at the front and has drawn much better today so comes in with serious chances. (9) CHEONNYEONUI GANG didn’t go in that April race but was previously 3rd to Curlin Time’s 2nd in March and remains nicely down in the weights with chances to go close if he can get to the early lead. (5) DAEHO JILJU another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Curlin Time (2) Daemangui Gil (9) Cheonnyeonui Gang (8) Yeonggwanguiforce|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(7) NAUI JEONSEOL is still an up and comer who gets better with racing. He was a winner at this class over 1800M on April 10th, his first attempt around two turns, coming from a handy position. He’s the one to beat here. Another up and comer is the main danger. (5) CHEONJI YEOGEOL has only been out of the top three once in eight starts and has a class and distance 2nd to her name. She led that day and while her recent outings have seen her settle back and then run on, expect her to go out in front early here. She’s a real chance. (3) MEOTJIN GEUMSEONG has won and placed at this distance at class 5 level, albeit more than a year ago. His recent outings have been at shorter and he certainly ran on well last time so he may appreciate being back at a bit of distance. (6) LOVE RACE has a class and distance win in her record and comes in off a good 3rd place in a fast time over 1400M. She looks a place chance here. (8) MILKY SHERRY always tends to come in under the radar but is capable of sneaking a place under a light weight.
|Selections||(7) Naui Jeonseol (5) Cheonji Yeogeol (3) Meotjin Geumsong (6) Love Race|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10|
Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Over the past few weeks Blue Chipper, Cheongdam Dokki and Tiz Plan have all been undone simply by shipping too much weight in these handicaps. Will (14) MOONHAK CHIEF join this unfortunate club? He might. Not only is he giving away 8kg to the rest of the field, he has also drawn the widest gate so it is going to take a very good Moon Se Young steer to gently get him through the first turn. He is still favourite though and by class 1 standards, this is a pretty ordinary set of opposition. Even with the 8kg, the only one capable of beating him is probably (13) HEUK JEONSA. He has a super record at 1800M with five starts for four wins and bolted in by seven-lengths has time out. With the weight advantage, he will provide a stern test for Moonhak Chief. (6) LIL’ PATRON was well beaten by Heuk Jeonsa last start when back early before working home nicely and might sneak a place here. (9) CLEAR GEOM and (10) SUPER SOCKS are others in the money frame.
|Selections||(14) Moonhak Chief (13) Heuk Jeonsa (6) Lil’ Patron (10) Super Socks|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||7, 11, 13, 14|