Sunday’s racing is behind closed doors at Seoul (10 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:05 to 17:00). Betting outlets on Jeju Island as well as in Daegu and Gwangju will be open but all others are closed. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) RUNNING KING may start as favourite here. He took a bump early last start on February 28th before racing keenly behind the leaders to be still running on strongly at the line. The previous time out he led for a strong 2nd and will be in the finish here. (3) NEW HOPE was 3rd in that February 28th race, marking a significant uptick in form and she can maintain that momentum today. The main danger though is set to be (1) DAECHEON EOLJJANG. He has run some good times over this distance and drops back after a decent showing over the 1300M last time. He has a nice draw on the inside which Johan Victoire can use to put him right in the mix here. (11) RAON GARAM has shown decent speed in both her races so far. That suggests the draw won’t be too much of a problem and she can be a factor. (8) ILGYEOK PILSAL was well back behind New Hope and Running King last start but we will disregard that and look back to his 2nd place on debut. Consider him for the exotics.
|Selections||(1) Daecheon Eoljang (4) Running King (3) New Hope (11) Raon Garam|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(12) K N LIGHT is the favourite and the pick here after his win at the distance back on January 15th. He stepped up to 1300M on his return and worked hard to be on the lead from the widest gate but just seemed to tire in the closing stages, ending up in 4th. Despite another wide draw, back at 1200M he is the one to beat. (1) MAD BLADE ran 2nd to K N Light in January before weakening late over 1400M on his return to action a month ago. Just as with the favourite, being back to 1200M is in his favour. (5) HAECHAN continues the pattern of those dropping back in trip and into contention. Although some time ago now, there was plenty of merit in his last crack at this distance and he should be competitive here. (9) STAR RUSH is yet to place but has shown ability. He was wide early last time before battling on well and could sneak some money today.
|Selections||(12) K N Light (5) Haechan (1) Mad Blade (9) Star Rush|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here. (12) GOLDEN BADGE is the pick here after a good 2nd at this trip in a nice time four weeks ago. She’s been reasonably consistent across here seven starts to date and this looks to be the race she’s been waiting for to pick up a win. (6) ROAD ROSE can have a line drawn through her latest effort when wide from an unhelpful draw. Her previous class and distance form is good and she should be on pace today with claims to go close. (1) JILPUNG BAEKGWANG was very wide last start but still battled on for a midfield finish. Moon Se Young climbs aboard today and she can improve. (9) CHEONGDAM TANK and (10) HAPPY MONTH are others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(12) Golden Badge (6) Road Rose (1) Jilpung Baekgwang (9) Cheongdam Tank|
|Next Best||10, 13|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) SPEED MATCH looks ready to win here. While his previous two goes around this trip weren’t ideal, he was a good 2nd back at 1000M last start, running on well and looks ready for another crack. He faces modest opposition here and can come out on top. (8) ADELE CROWN was exactly fast when 4th on debut a month ago but hinted at enough ability to suggest progression is on the cards and he can get close here. (2) SIMON TOP GUN has shown progress across four starts so far and is another who should be aiming to get in the places for the first time today. (11) JANGSAN MANGCHI has failed to build on an encouraging debut but still has the fastest time among any of these who have tackled the distance before.
|Selections||(3) Speed Match (11) Jangsan Mangchi (8) Adele Crown (2) Simon Top Gun|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies (and two mares) here. (4) RAON PINK was a class 6 winner on debut and has followed up with two solid performances at this class, running on from midfield both times. She can settle handy here and run on strong. (7) DAUL QUEEN is the one set to challenge her for favourite status. She too was winner on debut and was a fair 2nd on her first try at this class. She never really looked like winning that day but should be in the finish today. (11) CHEONGDAM WICKED continues to enter the calculations based on the sub-one-minute five-furlongs she achieved back last November. She’s not pulled up trees since but hasn’t been too far away. (10) CAREER HIGH is worth some thought. She didn’t settle especially well last time out but the run had merit. (12) LUCKY SMILE is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Raon Pink (7) Daul Queen (10) Career High (11) Cheongdam Wicked|
|Next Best||12, 13|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) MENI GLORY has just come up short in both his starts to date, finishing runner-up at 1000M and 1400M. He was a beaten favourite last start but is drawn nicely enough to get the early advantage here and will be a short-price to make it third time lucky. This isn’t an easy race though. (13) AFLEET TAPIT improved last time out at start number two and while it was a slow race, he looks set to be competitive. (14) WONDER RUNNER has been consistent across four outings so far. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he surely finds the places again. (6) STAR OF KING has been knocking on the door of the minor money in recent outings and could sneak a prize here. There is one solitary debut-maker but it is a notable one. (2) WILD INDIE is out of Wild Dixie Gal, dam of multiple Korean Stakes winners Beolmaui Kkum and Kkakjaengi and who also produced Dixie Again, winner of six from nine so far. By President’s Cup and Grand Prix winner Indie Band, Wild Indie trialed up nicely in March (after an unconvincing qualification a month earlier) and he will be backed.
|Selections||(7) Meni Glory (14) Wonder Runner (2) Wild Indie (13) Afleet Tapit|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(7) AMAZING WHIZ comes in off a last start win at this class over 1300M running on strong from a wide position in midfield. She is up 2kg in weight but has a slightly better draw and looks the one to beat. It’s a competitive race though. (6) VYING BLADE remains winless after six attempts but comes in following two near-misses. He will be on pace from a good draw and they will have to come past him. (2) BEST TIME was a close 2nd last start at 1400M, finishing well. She draws well again and is a place line here. (11) REDBACK and (8) NONSTOP WINNING both step up in class here having finished 1st and 2nd when they raced each other at 1400M on February 28th. Both look well-equipped for this level and can go close.
|Selections||(7) Amazing Whiz (6) Vying Blade (11) Redback (2) Best Time|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(5) GLOBAL SEUNGNI beat three of these when coming from off the pace to run 3rd at this distance on May 6th. That continued a run of consistent, if unspectacular form, that has seen him finish in the top five on five of six occasions so far. That race was as slow as it gets for the mile but he won’t need to improve much to be right in this. There is one previous winner in the race though. (13) HAENAM HAMMER broke through at start number two over 1200M on March 13th. She came from a wide draw that day too and ran on strong enough to suggest than in this company at least, there is nothing to fear from the step up in trip, and she could win here. (2) EAGLE ANGEL was 3rd in that same race, an uptick in form which she can build on today. Another tackling the trip for the first time is (9) MONEY BAG. He has run on strong for 3rd in both his latest two at 1200M and 1400M and should come into the reckoning again.
|Selections||(13) Haenam Hammer (5) Global Seungni (9) Money Bag (2) Eagle Angel|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 12, 13|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(2) JOY BROTHER was a last start class and distance winner, leading almost the entire way around and holding firm at the business end. That was an uptick in recent form and while he is up in the weights today, he has a better draw and should be a threat again. However, we will go for that day’s runner-up (6) STREET GANGJA to overturn the form. He only went down narrowly that day after working forward from a very wide draw and looks nicely in here. The one they will both need to beat though is (4) ROYAL ROAD. He comes in following a useful enough 5th last start on his first try at this level. He previously won at this distance making all and from an ideal draw, should be on pace early and can go all the way. (5) DAEHAN JILJU is up in class and despite being winless from three, he is yet to run a bad race with a 3rd and two runner-up finishes. He is down in weight here and can be tactically versatile. (10) CHEONGSAN GASE is up in class following a good win over 1300M and can be competitive.
|Selections||(6) Street Gangja (4) Royal Road (5) Daehan Jilju (2) Joy Brother|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(8) DOCTOR FASHION finished an arguably disappointing 4th over 1200M three weeks ago having led for much of the way around. He was though first-up for seven months so despite winning a trial beforehand, some rustiness can be forgiven He has previously run a good time at this distance and could be the one to beat today. (11) MILLION MAKER is yet to finish outside the top three from five attempts, a record that surely continues here. He was 3rd on his first try at class and distance at the end of February in a slow run race and is sure to figure in the finish today. (10) KKOTGWA GUREUM steps up in trip following a good win over 1200M. She ran on strong that day and the 1400M may suit. (2) GOOD SOCKS had a torrid time over a mile in February but draw a line through that. She trialed nicely last week and this distance suits much better. (3) TOP BEST has proven competitive at the level and should be there or thereabouts.
|Selections||(8) Doctor Fashion (11) Million Maker (10) Kkkotgwa Gureum (2) Good Socks|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(2) SPEED GO picks himself here. He has two wins and a runner-up finish in his record with that latter result coming on his return from a lengthy Absence in February. He has registered good times, has a great draw and is the one to beat. The main danger is (11) HEUNG DREAM. Despite an awkward start last time out, he recovered to win well. It’s his first time at 1400M but he’s won at just half a furlong shorter in a good time and the step up in class shouldn’t trouble him either. (12) WONDERFUL STORM is consistent and beat a couple of these on his way to 4th last time out. He’ll sit midfield and see out the trip well. (4) MEOTJIN GEUMSEONG is a bit of a puzzle. He keeps finding himself running very wide but was handily placed last start ahead of a few of today’s rivals. A good draw brings him into the picture. (5) A TO Z the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Speed Go (11) Heung Dream (12) Wonderful Storm (4) Meotjin Geumseong|
|Next Best||5, 13|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
It’s about time (4) ROCKY SKY won again. We know that he knows how to because he has done it before but he comes in off four consecutive runner-up finishes. There was no real disgrace in any of them though as each time he was beaten by a decent winner, most recently Ace Killer two months ago. He has trialed up very nicely since and is the one to beat today. Should he manage to fall short again then (13) WINNING DANCER may be the one to take advantage. He won at this distance three starts back and drops back in trip following a good 2nd place at this class over 1400M in February. He doesn’t need to lead so the wide draw is not too concerning. (1) K.B. BOSS is a class and distance winner already and comes in having beaten three of these on her way to 2nd place last start. She goes close again. (3) CLUTCH HITTER was woeful on debut but has since looked much better in a trial and is worth another chance here while solitary debut-maker (11) GOLDEN BYEORAK looked good when winning a trial and comes straight into contention first up.
|Selections||(4) Rocky Sky (1) K.B. Boss (13) Winning Dancer (3) Clutch Hitter|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(1) LEVEL TAP is in good form having finished a narrow 2nd behind quality horse Legend Day last time on January 29th a full five-lengths clear of the rest of the field that included a number of today’s rivals. It was a super time and he should lead gate to wire. (5) EAST BAN is up in class following a nice win at this distance. He drops a full 6kg in weights too and his consistency means he is firmly in the equation here. (10) CLEANUP SHINE ran a good 3rd to Legend Day back in December before finishing 6th in the Level Tap race last time out when wide and midfield throughout. She’s worth another chance to improve here. (13) SPRING KING is yet to place in this class but is generally close at the finish. From the wide draw he can sit midfield and run on strong to catch a few late.
|Selections||(1) Level Tap (5) East Ban (10) Cleanup Shine (13) Spring King|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 10, 13|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(7) HAPPY FEVER stood in the gate last start giving the rest a big advantage and while he did work his way back into the field, he used up too much energy to be able to challenge late on. Draw a line though it and instead go on his previous form and he is the one to beat here with Djordje Perovic put up. (11) TWO TWO GREAT won five of her first six and while she hasn’t quite been able to maintain that, she has proven her consistency at this level with a 4th and a 3rd in her latest two both in good races. She goes close here. (13) YEONGGWANGUI SECRET ran 6th behind Two Two Great in March in what was his first race in over a year. He should have come on for that run and he has a lot of ability. (9) I’M YOUR FASHION is up in class after a good win at 1200M last start. He will need to get better but carries a really light weight which may bring him into minor money calculations. (4) YES POWER another with claims.
|Selections||(7) Happy Fever (11) Two Two Great (13) Yeonggwangui Secret (9) I’m Your Fashion|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 12, 13|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(7) GOLDEN SERVICE is the pick here. While he remains a maiden, he’s been racking up the placings with six top-three finishes from nine starts to date and was a good 2nd at 1700M last time out. He can either lead or be handy here and the To Honor And Serve gelding should finally make his breakthrough. (5) HIDDEN SOCKS comes into the calculations here with an apprentice claim taking 3kg off his back. He placed at a mile in the past and it what isn’t an overly strong race could go close. (8) JEONGMUN ACE enters in good form with his two best finishes to date coming in his latest two starts. The latter was at this distance when he beat a couple of these and while the time was sloth-like, this lot aren’t likely to break the sound-barrier either. (3) BONNEUNG DAERO is consistent at this class and was 3rd behind Jeongmun Ace last start. Expect him to be on pace and in the mix again. (4) FULL BOOSTER the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Golden Service (5) Hidden Socks (3) Bonneung Daero (8) Jeongmun Ace|
|Next Best||4, 14|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Tremendous little race this to conclude the weekend. (3) GANGTOMA comes off a good 3rd when racing against plenty of these over 1400M on March 7th. Back in January, he was a class and distance winner, again when facing a lot of these. This is his preferred distance; he has a good barrier and comes down in weight due to the strength of opposition. He can win. (8) SUPER SOCKS has solid recent form and comes into deeper waters with a nice light weight to carry. He is strong at this finish and can’t be discounted at this distance. (11) HEUK JEONSA beat plenty of these, including Gangtoma, when 2nd over 1400M a month ago and while he may be better at shorter, has decent showings around two turns to his name as well. (14) SIMJANGUI GODONG is very versatile galloper and while most of his recent best work has been at the shorter distances, he has been competitive in similar company. (2) TOP BRAIN is up in class after a good win at this distance last time out and while this is quite a baptism of fire at the top level, he carries a nice light weight and shouldn’t be ruled out. (7) WINNER GOLD is a versatile galloper and is another who comes in nicely in the weights today. An interesting runner is (4) GAON CHAMP. He is one of Korea’s best sprinters, but his dam was a high class race-mare here winning all the way up to 1900M. Watch with interest.
|Selections||(3) Gangtoma (8) Super Socks (11) Heuk Jeonsa (2) Top Brain|
|Next Best||14, 7, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9, 13|