The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on friday with 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to kick things off and only one of the twelve has raced before. That’s (1) DAEMANGUI GIL, who has actually appeared twice, improving significantly in the second of them, which was a valuable juvenile race (Gold Circle Trophy) over 1200M. Back down in trip here and his experience may come through. (2) TOP OF CHALLENGER caught the eye in a fast trial back in August and is perhaps the pick of the first-time starters although (5) FANTASTIC WINNER looked good coming from off the pace to win a second trial at the end of September ahead of some established horses and can be taken seriously too. (7) TOP BEST and (11) BURNING STAR also ran in some competitive times and look likely to go well first up, the latter partnered by former Busan champion jockey Kim Young Geun, who is in town for Sunday’s Governor’s Cup. As ever, keep an eye on the market.
|Selections||(1) Daemangui Gil (2) Top Of Challenger (5) Fantastic Winner (7) Top Best|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) WORLD TODAY is a “full” brother of World Day, a winner of nine of twelve starts so far. He looked competent enough when trialling two weeks ago and this isn’t the most intimidating. The biggest danger may be (8) BEYOND. He returned from six months off on September 20th only for his saddle to slip and his jockey to fall off. He had been relatively well-fancied in that race due to an impressive trial and he surely will again here. (1) BORYEONG JILJU drops back in trip after a solid 4th over 1300M last start and should be in contention to build on that today. (5) RAINBOW PARK and (12) MYEONGGA DAERO are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) World Today (8) Beyond (1) Boryeong Jilju (5) Rainbow Park|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(11) HANSEN FLASHY found himself a little overmatched facing the current top juveniles in a valuable race at the end of August but he finds himself in much shallower waters today and should be winning. (7) SUPER GREAT is the only one of these to have a 2nd place to his name and that in itself marks him as a major contender up against this lot. (1) NEPTUNE is a thirty-four race maiden but ran a solid 3rd ahead of a couple of these two weeks ago and should beat a few again. (6) DREAM CHASER hasn’t beaten many across three starts so far but his times have been creditable, and he has been facing much better opposition than this. (8) I AM CHAMPION too can beat a few.
|Selections||(11) Hansen Flashy (7) Super Great (6) Dream Chaser (1) Neptune|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 11|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) BLUE POWER comes in having run a decent 4th in the Gold Circle Trophy at the end of last month, and while he was some way behind the winner, it was a reasonable performance. He already has a 3rd place to his name at this distance and could be the ne to beat here. (4) PINEUI KKUM raced very greenly when 6th on debut last month to the extent that he was sent back to trial. He duly won that trial in a fast time and goes straight into contention here. (2) ANGEL KING STAR and (3) MAJOR GUY came home 3rd and 4th with just a head between them when they raced over this distance on September 27th and both have placing claims. (11) SANBANG ANY DAY was 3rd over 1000M last start and steps back up in trip for the first time since his debut.
|Selections||(9) Blue Power (4) Pineui Kkum (2) Angel King Star (3) Major Guy|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 11|
Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) ALPHA RUNNER enters with recent form reading well and while it’s ten starts since his last win, he looks nicely in here. 2nd last time out over 1200M, he was 4th at this class and distance at the end of August and can come from off the pace with a late run. (10) B.K. GAMBOL upset the highly thought-of Mr. Afleet, making all and just holding on in a fast time on a wet track at class and distance on September 29th and while he carries an additional 3kg here and will need to make his way to the front from a wide draw, he warrants respect. (5) WHITE POINT beat a couple of these in his way to an unexpected 2nd a month ago, his first try at this distance. He can go well again although (2) MUJEOK VETERAN, who was behind him that day, could overturn the form. (9) IGGYDA had a poor day at the office over a mile last time but is better than that and can improve today.
|Selections||(1) Alpha Runner (10) B.K. Gambol (5) White Point (2) Mujeok Veteran|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) FINAL DREAM ran 3rd on her first try at this class over 1200M on September 20th. She drops back in trip today to the distance at which she secured her maiden victory in August and could well win again from the front. The main danger is (5) TOP ACE. He beat a couple of these when only beaten a head in a fast time on a wet track on September 22nd. He’ll be on pace again and can go all the way. (8) MORNING BRAVO was just a half length back in 3rd that day and can aim for at least a place again. (3) TRUE SIGNATURE and the consistent – if non-winning – (1) HWANGGEUMBITMASENG are others in contention for the money.
|Selections||(4) Final Dream (5) Top Ace (8) Morning Bravo (1) Hwanggeumbitmasaeng|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 11|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) ECHO SUN was an impressive winner over 1000M on September 20th, winning by two lengths in a fast time. He’s up in class and in trip here but neither should be an issue and he can win again. (6) LEGACY perhaps has a little bit more to find but he too was an impressive winner last start and he’ll be more than competitive at this level. (11) HUSE JEWANG completes the set of those stepping up in level here and while he is still a maiden, he’s been beaten by good horses and can go close here. Of those with prior experience of class 5, (3) GRAND JILJU and (5) PERDIDO ROCKET, who got promoted together having finished 1st and 2nd over 1000M back in August, look the best options.
|Selections||(2) Echo Sun (6) Legacy (11) Huse Jewang (3) Grand Jilju|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) POWER TOUCH is a winner of three from eight so far, the most recent being at this class over 1300M just three weeks ago. He carries more weight today, has drawn wide and it is an all-round tougher assignment, but he could well be equal to it. (1) HAPPY GATE ran 2nd on his first try at this class over 1300M a month ago. He can settle behind the early pace here and be strong late on. (4) OCEAN GREY is up in class after a narrow win over 1000M four weeks ago. Distance is perhaps a question, but he’s well drawn to get on speed and cling on. (8) YONGYEON comes in off back to back runner-up finishes and can go close again while (10) RACHEL looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Power Touch (1) Happy Gate (4) Ocean Grey (8) Yongyeon|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another competitive race. (6) GIJEOGUI JEOKTOMA and (5) TORNADO KING came home 1st and 3rd in a very tight finish at class and distance on September 22nd. Both arrived on the scene late that day on a wet track, but both could be ridden more forward this time, and both have winning claims. (2) INDIAN GANGJA drops back in trip having scarcely been involved over 1800M three weeks ago. This looks a more suitable assignment for him, and he will go back at the start and look to close. (8) YEONGGWANGUIFACTOR and (9) GIANT’S BIZ ran home 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other over 1300M, and both can be a factor today with the latter stepping up to a mile for the first time. (10) MIO got his maiden win at the twenty-fifth time of asking on September 20th. His reward is to have to go up in class, but he won that race handily enough and can be competitive here.
|Selections||(5) Tornado King (6) Gijeokui Jeoktoma (2) Indian Gangja (9) Giant’s Biz|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
No fewer than eight of these lined up against each other over class and distance on September 20th. The best of them that day was (10) DANGDAE GEOHAM, who came home in 2nd place, albeit a good six-lengths behind the winner. Dangdae Geoham came from well back that day and will likely do similar this time. Once more the question is whether he’ll run out of track before he gets there. If he does, then (6) USEUNG HWANHO, 3rd in that race, could be one to take advantage although a bigger danger could be one who didn’t make it to the finish line in that race. (7) I’M YOUR LEMON shed his rider at the 250M point having been well backed. She previously found herself overmatched in the KNN Cup at a mile but has proven herself at this level in good company and is probably the one they need to beat. If you prefer front runners than (11) TONGIL HANGUK is up in class off the back of consecutive wins and shapes to be competitive again. (9) SPOT the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) I’m Your Lemon (10) Dangdae Geoham (11) Tongil Hanguk (6) Useung Hwanho|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 11|
Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(4) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON ran a creditable 6th in the Korea Sprint last month and while he has to carry 59kg here, he is the class horse of the race and in this company the one to beat. (2) ACE KOREA has had a difficult year but is still talented and if he gets out of the gate well from a good draw, he’s in with a chance. (9) HI SEXY was a class and distance winner last start in August and remains very nicely in here. A winner of six from ten so far, (3) MUJEOK YEONGUNG steps up to class 1 for the first time and is likely to join Ace Korea on pace. It’s not impossible he could win again. (10) WIDAEHAN BISANG is also up in class having beaten seven of the runners we saw in race 10 last start.
|Selections||(4) Doraonpogyeongseon (2) Ace Korea (3) Mujeok Yeongung (9) Hi Sexy|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3|