It’s Good Friday at Busan and there are 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here is the race-by-race, horse-by-horse guide:
RACE 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance – 3yo KOR-bred Fillies / KRW 40 Million
- PARTY LION – 2nd favourite on debut over 1300M after promising trials but was one-paced and only managed 8th of 11. Drops back in trip for return and can improve.
- DAEGYO – Debut-maker. First foal out of a dam who is half-sister to Tough Win, who won many big races here. Few clues from trials – finished behind Mach Queen and ahead of Jeongseong Beach. Watching brief first-up.
- PERFECT ANGEL – Only beat one home on debut last month behind Chodong Jinju. That was in line with expectations and they won’t be much higher today.
- TIZBE – Debut-maker. Half-sister to three winners at this class. Went through two trials finishing in front of Boryeong Hwanho in the latest of them. Foreign owner, trainer & jockey.
- RAPTOR CORE – Favourite on debut on March 22nd having won a trial and performed well enough in 2nd place. Should be on pace here and make no mistake today. Hot favourite.
- CHODONG JINJU – Raced twice and improved to 4th on latest at this distance on March 15th. Took an age to get going but ran on nicely and with a better start could be in the hunt.
- YESULUI GYEUNGJI – Debut-maker. 2nd foal from a mare who won 10 of 40 starts here. Older brother 1 win from 6 starts. Trailed adequately. Watch the market.
- JEONGSEONG BEACH – Debut-maker. Half sister to a couple of good colts who both had careers cut short through injury. Trialled behind Mach Queen and Daegyo but top trainer and jockey and good run possible.
- BORYEONG HWANHO – Debut-maker. Only foal from the dam. Trialled up behind Tizbe and better to watch first-up.
- JOYPEL – Last on debut behind Party Lion. Sent back to trial. If she can get to the front from the start, she may go better, but others favoured.
- MACH QUEEN – Debut-maker. Put in a very promising trial last month in a decent time and ahead of two other first-timers here. A chance.
- GWANGMOK CHEONWANG – Six months between her first two starts and didn’t impress on either. Top trainer and jockey combination though and improvement not impossible.
VERDICT: A maiden for three-year-old fillies kicks things off and all roads lead to (5) RAPTOR CORE, who it’s hard to see getting beaten here. She was a competent 2nd on debut and looks far ahead of the rest in terms of development. (1) PARTY LION didn’t really do herself justice on debut at 1300M but can be backed for improvement dropped down to the minimum distance today, while (6) CHODONG JINJU’s improvement last time, despite the bad start, gives some cause for optimism. Of the debut-makers, (11) MACH QUEEN is best placed to go well first up with (7) YESULUI GYEUNGJI another who should be competitive.
|Selections||(5) Raptor Core (11) Mach Queen (1) Party Lion (7) Yesului Gyeungji|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 11, 12|
RACE 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance – KOR-bred 3yo / KRW 40 Million
- WILD GERANIUM – Well back on debut behind Final Wind before running 6th over a mile on return a month ago. Began well that day but weakened and can continue to make progress here.
- YEONGGWANGUI CHEER – 7th and 5th in two starts so far, both at 1000M. Top trainer and jockey and ay appreciate the additional trip.
- CHANGE BACK – Improved 3rd on second start at this distance on March 22nd but was still six-lengths behind Ultra Power. Can improve again but will struggle to overturn that form.
- ACE GIRL – Has been sent off at three-figure odds for all three outings to date and while there has been some progress, she’ll be a big long-shot again.
- ULTRA POWER – 6th behind Tamna List before running a good 2nd behind Doctor Week at this distance on March 22nd having led for much of the race. Should be on pace again and has solid claims.
- FINAL WIND – Much improved 2nd, albeit well beaten by a good winner, on first try at this distance on March 8th. Will need to improve again but top jockey booked.
- CHEONNYEONUIHEUIMANG – Debut-maker. Half-sister to a couple of worthy but unspectacular plodders. Trialled twice and was better in the most recent. Tough ask first-up.
- TAMNA LIST – Overcame some bumping at the start to run 2nd on March 15th having previously beaten three of these, including Ultra Punch, on debut a month earlier. Real chance.
- TIZ HERO – Debut-maker. Third foal from dam who won 6 of 41 starts here. Very slow in trials. Stablemate of Wild Geranium and despite top jockey booking, not recommended first-up.
- SATURDAY QUEEN – Offered little in three starts so far and big improvement will be required here.
- KOSAT – Best of 7th from three outings so far. Back up in trip today and lots to find.
- LOGIN KOREA – Offered little in two starts to date, both at 1000M. Top jockey on today but still looks up against it.
VERDICT: (5) ULTRA POWER has improved across three starts so far and led for much of the way over this distance last time out before ultimately being beaten by a good winner. He’s well drawn to get to the lead early here and he may be tough to catch. (8) TAMNA LIST has already beaten Ultra Power and can continue the positive start to his career by being a danger here. (6) FINAL WIND was much-improved on her latest outing last month and can maintain her momentum today. (2) YEONGGWANGUI CHEER and (3) CHANGE BACK look best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Ultra Power (8) Tamna List (6) Final Wind (2) Yeonggwangui Cheer|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
RACE 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance – KOR-bred 3yo / KRW 40 Million
- DAGYEONG HUIMANG – Last of 12 on debut last month and sent back to trial. Slow in trial too and not recommended here.
- B.K. JOHN – 10th of 11 on debut last month, beaten by Star Boy. Lots to find.
- BAMBI SKY – Debut-maker. First foal from his dam. Offered few clues in his trial and a watching brief first-up is advisable.
- STAR BOY – 8th and 11th in two starts so far, well back behind Baramgwa Gureum on latest. Outsider.
- BUNDANUIBYEOKNEOME – Debut-maker. Dam has produced four-winners and this one trialled up encouragingly. Top jockey on and a chance first-up.
- AUTO SONIC – Debut-maker. From the track’s top stable, he trialled up behind Baramgwa Gureum but didn’t do much wrong. Could be anything – watch the market.
- B.K. MARVEL – Last in both starts so far and although she was a touch less slow in the latest of those, she can’t be recommended here.
- TIME WINNER – Debut-maker. A couple of half-siblings have had some ability, but he only scraped though his trial in a slow time.
- TIME TOGETHER – Six months between his first two outings last September and this March and neither were impressive. Lots of improvement required.
- BARAMGWA GUREUM – Improved 2nd on her second start on March 29th having led throughout the early part of the race. She’s the one to beat here.
- PERDIDO ROCKET – Debut-maker. She trailed competently alongside experienced racehorses and is in with a shout of a money finish first-up.
- KKEUTPAN CLOSER – Debuted without distinction in December, after which he was sent back to trial. Performed adequately in fast March trial and can be better today.
VERDICT: It’s hard to look past (10) BARAMGWA GUREUM in this relatively weak maiden. The Peter Wolsley filly led for much of the way around on her second start three weeks ago only to weaken late on for 2nd but should have come on for that and can lead all the way here. None of the others with experience are easy to recommend, so we’ll look to the first-time starters to find the main dangers. (5) BUNDANUIBYEOKNEOME didn’t look out of place when trialling alongside experienced horses last month and should go well first-up while (6) AUTO SONIC did nothing wrong in his heat either and the stable will tempt plenty. (11) PERDIDO ROCKET also looked competent enough in a trial three weeks ago and can aim for some prize money.
|Selections||(10) Baramgwa Gureum (6) Auto Sonic (5) Bundanuibyeokneome (11) Perdido Rocket|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 10|
RACE 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance – KOR-bred / KRW 24 Million
- FINAL FRONT – Sent off at odds of 80/1 last time on March 22nd but beat three of these on his way to 3rd place. Warrants significantly more respect today.
- DAEROUI KKUM – Held his own over four starts so far despite finishing no better than 5th. Can sit off the early pace and possibly run into a place.
- OPEN SESAME – Sent off at odds approaching 350/1 on debut three weeks ago and ran like it. Big Outsider again.
- FUSION PARK – Getting closer with a 3rd place last time at 1300M and steps up to a mile for the first time. Likely to be on pace early and has claims.
- GOLDUI INYEON – No better than 3rd from ten attempts and well back behind Fusion Park last time. Others better.
- YEONGBONGSAN – 5th behind Final Front and Dynamic Bolt at a mile last time out but was 2nd at this distance on March 1st. Should be close.
- BUSAN MAGIC – Best finish of 5th and hasn’t shown much in the way of speed. Needs to improve to challenge here.
- KING OF JOY – 7th on debut at a mile last month behind Powerful Pit. Too early to recommend but may have come on for that run.
- JANGGUNEUI JILJU – A stablemate of Fusion Park, he debuted inauspiciously last November but was much better on return three weeks ago and can continue to progress here. Interesting outsider.
- DYNAMIC BOLT – Looks to be figuring things out with a 3rd and two 4th place finishes from her latest three. A neck behind Final Front last start, a top jockey is booked today, and she could win.
- NEPTUNE – The most experienced in the race although not much of that experience is good and plenty of these have beaten him already.
- POWERFUL PIT – 2nd in weak maiden at a mile on March 8th before running 5th at the same distance three weeks ago. Placing chances.
VERDICT: Tricky race but we’ll go with (4) FUSION PARK, who has beaten a few of these already, to continue to progress and from gate 4 to get on the lead early and go all the way. (10) DYNAMIC BOLT’s recent efforts have been promising and she looks set for more development here. She’ll also challenge for the early lead and has claims. (1) FINAL FRONT beat three of these at this distance last start and should beat plenty again. (2) DAEROUI KKUM and (6) YEONGBONGSAN are others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Fusion Park (10) Dynamic Bolt (1) Final Front (6) Yeongbongsan|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
RACE 5: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
- KING STORM – A long time since her solitary win and recent form has been cold. Up against it here.
- URANUS J – Returned to form with 2nd place in a stiffer race at 1300M a month ago. A previous try at this trip didn’t go well but he looks ready for another crack here.
- BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN – One-paced but stays running at that one pace all day and plenty usually come back to him. Not sure if it is even possible for him to win a race but if it is, today’s his best chance.
- TWO TWO TURBO – Maiden win came at 1300M in March before running 5th on first try at class and distance two weeks ago. Likely to get an easy lead here and can stay on for at least a place.
- MANY DESCENDANT – Well back behind Two Two Turbo last time and will struggle to overturn that form here.
- UJU JEONGBEOL – Slightly disappointing 7th behind Two Two Turbo two weeks ago but was a class and distance 3rd the time before. Jockey booking is a plus.
- HWANHAN SESANG – Longest shot on the board when running 3rd at class and distance three weeks ago in a better-looking race than this. A repeat is possible.
- WANBONG – Offered little in his first twelve outings but has suddenly found form and a maiden win last time out. Up in class today but could keep his momentum going.
VERDICT: (2) URANUS J lost his way slightly after getting his maiden win last September but looks to have figured out this class finally with a 2nd place at 1300M last month, albeit seven-lengths back behind a good winner. If he can get the trip this time, he can win. If he doesn’t then it leads us to one who we know will and that’s (3) BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN. He has no speed at all but plods on and picks off lots late on. Today could be the day he finally picks them all off. (4) TWO TWO TURBO can get an unchallenged early lead and has claims to stay on while (7) HWANHAN SESANG, a useful 3rd last time, should be in at least the placing hunt again.
|Selections||(2) Uranus J (3) Bulmyeoruimaripgan (4) Two Two Turbo (7) Hwanhan Sesang|
|Next Best||6, 8|
RACE 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
- FIGHT MAGIC – Maiden winner over this trip at the fifth time of asking a month ago. Up in class today but should be on pace early and should be competitive.
- NORMAL CLASSIC – Made all for a maiden win at this distance in February but struggled for position from a wide draw on first time at this level three weeks ago. Should be better today.
- NEW JACK SWING – Good 3rd at class and distance on February but well back on latest outing. Inconsistent.
- LOVE LETTER – Struggled in four starts at this level since maiden win last November. Hard to recommend here.
- BRITE ACOUNT – Still a maiden after twenty-seven attempts and recent form offers little cause for optimism over that changing any time soon.
- JOYFUL MEMORY – An eighteen-race maiden but enters in good form. 2nd behind the useful Tongil Hanguk in February then 6th to the very useful Seobu Cat last month. A chance here.
- CHEONSANG OREUM – Bad day at the office last start but she’d been going well prior to that and is worth another chance here. Top jockey on today.
- JAESAENGMYEONGNI – Drops back in trip after an unsuccessful spin around 1800M. Has some decent class and distance results and shouldn’t be too far away.
- GIRL CRUSH – Got promoted to this level by virtue of three 3rd place finishes and hasn’t found it easy. Back in trip today but an outsider.
- MIR KAN – Well off the pace in recent outings and little reason to think that will change today. Big Outsider.
- MONEY BLACK HOLE – Shown ability and while disappointing last time, he was found to have bled. Trialled up well at the end of March and could be a factor.
- TRIPLE BOSS – A 4th and a pair of 5th place finishes in his latest three. Capable of at least matching those here.
VERDICT: Another tough race to call. We’ll draw a line through (7) CHEONSANG OREUM’s latest. She was going well before that and while she never got going in that race, she had previously shown enough to suggest she has wins in her at this level. (1) FIGHT MAGIC is up in class after a solid win at this distance last month. She has every chance of a repeat and is likely to be making the early pace alongside (2) NORMAL CLASSIC, who had a hard time from a wide draw last start but should be better here. (6) JOYFUL MEMORY is a proven money winner at this level and shouldn’t be too far away while (11) MONEY BLACK HOLE bled last time and can go better today.
|Selections||(7) Cheonsang Oreum (1) Fight Magic (11) Money Black Hole (6) Joyful Memory|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2|
RACE 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- KING THE ROAD – First start since January when she was disappointing at short odds. Spelled a couple of months since and back in work end of March. Sharpness may be an issue but plenty of talent.
- ROYAL GOLD – Disappointed at a mile last time. Was fractious in barriers and got a poor trip throughout. Back in distance today and if given more of a chance, can go better.
- BOLD RULES – Enters off the back of consecutive 3rd place finishes over 1200M, both at this class and both in decent company. Placing chances at least today. Likely to be ridden forward today.
- QUEEN OFFICER – Beat a couple of these on her way to 3rd place last time and every chance of a repeat. Stablemate of King The Road.
- KWAESOK BOLT – Lots of experience and capable of being competitive at this level but was well back behind Golden Knight last time and has plenty to make up here.
- ISLE CAT – Enters in solid form with a 3rd and back to back runner-up finishes coming in here. Carries more weight today but has placing hopes again.
- OCEAN PHOENIX – Two 2nd place finishes and a 3rd in three attempts at this level. The distance suits, he should be on pace early and he is the one to beat.
- STAR LINE – 4th behind Queen Officer last start, he has a 2nd place at class and distance to his name too. Will need to find a bit more today but not impossible.
- GAMUNUI YEONGGWANG – Just half a length behind Ocean Phoenix in February but well back behind Queen Officer and Star Line last start. Not the quickest of starters but can pick off some late on.
- GOLDEN KNIGHT – Promoted to this class with a four-length win at this distance on March 8th, he ran a solid 3rd on his first try at this level three weeks ago and can match or better today.
- I’M ADELE – Returned from five months out to only beat a couple home over 1800M on March 29th. Can come on for that run but hard to recommend here.
- WIN GO MAN – Drops back to this trip for the first time in a long time. Others favoured here.
VERDICT: (7) OCEAN PHOENIX ran 2nd to the promising Amazon Yeogeol last start and looks to be improving. He’s the one to beat in what is another really competitive handicap. He’ll be on pace early and can go all the way. (10) GOLDEN KNIGHT ran a close at hand 3rd on his first try at this level three weeks ago and looks nicely in here once more. He’ll go right back at the start and finish strongly. (1) KING THE ROAD returns fresh after a couple of months off and should be in the hunt while (3) BOLD RULES and (4) QUEEN OFFICER are others who should go close.
|Selections||(7) Ocean Phoenix (10) Golden Knight (1) King The Road (4) Queen Officer|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7|
RACE 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
- GLOBAL JILJU – First start since last October. Trialled reasonably enough last month but we’ll take a watching brief first-up.
- MAGIC STREET – Managed a 4th at class and distance in January and got within a length of Ballondor Iji last start. More to find here but interesting outsider.
- FLYING RANGER – First start since last September. Looked good when trialling in a fast time two weeks ago and could make for an interesting outsider.
- JANGSAN BOBBY – 3rd on debut and then a maiden winner three weeks ago. Up in trip for the first time today but should be on pace and can repeat. He’s the one to beat.
- MAJOR THUNDER – Put in a couple of decent performances over the turn of the year but has lost her way a little in her latest two. Outsider.
- HURRICANE RUNNER – Returned from three months out to run a useful 5th at 1300M on March 24th, leading for much of the way. Placing chances here.
- YEONGUNG ILGI – Drops back in trip after unsuccessful attempts at a mile and 1800M. Was 4th of 8 last time he ran at this distance, but others favoured here.
- SPARKLE – Won his first two to get rapidly promoted to this level but only beat two home on first try at it in January after getting a bad start and caught in kickback. Not raced since and won’t be fancied here.
- BEOLMA CHEONHA – Won back to back races in January and February but had a hard time on his first try at this class a month ago. With a fast start, he can improve today.
- BALLONDOR IJI – Returned from seven months off to run well for 5th first-up at class and distance two weeks ago. Should have come on for that and can be a threat today.
- GIANT’S BIZ – The sole debut-maker, he’s from the track’s top stable and looked impressive when winning a trial last month. He’ll be well backed.
- MALIBU MILLION – Improved 3rd at class and distance on latest start four weeks ago. Less than ideal draw today but outside chance of a money finish.
VERDICT: (4) JANGSAN BOBBY was a four-length winner over 1000M on March 31st and while this is his first try at further than the minimum distance, he looks t have plenty of potential and has every chance of making all once again. (10) BALLONDOR IJI made a most encouraging return from several months off two weeks ago and backs up here with solid claims to go closer today while Kim Young-kwan’s debut maker (11) GIANT’S BIZ is sure to have plenty of supporters off the back of a strong trial performance last month. (6) HURRICANE RUNNER and (9) BEOLMA CHEONHA are others who can come under consideration.
|Selections||(4) Jangsan Bobby (10) Ballondor Iji (11) Giant’s Biz (6) Hurricane Runner|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
RACE 9: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
- WHINNY WING – 2nd at class and distance on March 17th, hell be close to the pace here and can aim to match today.
- GABOGAPJJANG – It’s his 31st start today but his first around two-turns. That is a question mark although he enters in good shape after a 5th and 4th in his latest two at 1400M.
- MAJOR ALPHA – 3rd and a 5th in his latest two, both at 1200M, he’s back up in distance today but he has proven he can run well at two-turns already. Will go right back and finish strongly.
- DANGCHAN JILJU – Scored a good 2nd place on first crack at this level over a mile last November. Struggled in two starts since and up against it here.
- DARMA – A winner at this class over 1200M in March beating Major Alpha. Good up to a mile, two-turns doesn’t appear to be his forte though and others are favoured.
- THE GRAND – Down in class today having struggled at class 1 since returning from a lengthy layoff. Carries top weight and hard to see this being much easier.
- VANJEFE – Weakened over 2000M on first try at this class on March 24th but has performed well at this distance on a number of occasions. On pace here and in the placing frame.
- A PURE GOOD MAN – 2nd on his first try at this level over this distance on March 8th, beating three of these in the process. Carries more weight today but every chance of going one better.
- PARK MAN – Useful 3rd at class and distance in January but well back in his latest two – though he did beat Vanjefe last time. Closer who could pass a few late on.
- ACEUI SEONMUL – Lots of experience at the level and capable of sneaking into some money on her day. Very nicely weighted.
- BAEKDU JEONGGI – Well back behind A Pure Good Man last start. Has a 4thplace at this class over a mile to his name but is an outsider here.
- THUNDER FLY – 4th, just over a length behind A Pure Good Man last time. Won five of his first six starts and looks to have more in him.
VERDICT: (8) A PURE GOOD MAN won back to back races over a mile to get promoted to this level and then ran 2nd, beating three of these in the process, at class and distance on March 8th. He’ll look to lead gate to wire here and has every chance of doing so. (12) THUNDER FLY won five of his first six starts to rapidly get promoted to this level. His three outings since have been tougher but he looks to be getting to grips with this level of competition and can go close today. (1) WHINNY WING enters following a strong class and distance 2nd last time out and warrants respect while (3) MAJOR ALPHA and (7) VANJEFE are also in with placing chances.
|Selections||(8) A Pure Good Man (12) Thunder Fly (7) Vanjefe (1) Whinny Wing|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 11|
RACE 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
- DREAM JILJU – Not too far away in recent starts and while he’s not the fastest of starters, could finish well and place.
- SAKISAKI – 2nd to Mr. Spending at class and distance in January and a strong 4th over a mile last time. Placing chances.
- CHEOGANG JEOLLYEOK – Returned from over a year out to run 5th over 1200M last month. Can build on it today although this is a harder race.
- RED CLOUD – Back to back wins last autumn saw him promoted to this level. He was beaten a length by Sakisaki over a mile last month but can overturn that form today and go close.
- MAPLE CLASSIC – The hot favourite, he was a two-length class and distance winner in arguably a stronger race than this three weeks ago and looks tough to beat here.
- ORYONG – Returns to action for the first time since last November. Trialled well in March and could be an interesting outsider first-up.
- RISING BRAVO – Recent form has been cold, and he looks up against it here.
- DEEP MIND – A winner of three from five, he struggled in Busan’s Classic trial six weeks ago. The company today looks more amenable and he has scope for improvement.
- MR. SPENDING – Had a hard time in two starts since a class and distance win over Sakisaki in January. A place not impossible but others favoured.
- HWANGGEUM GEOTAP – Beat a couple of these on her way to 5th place and class and distance in February but more required here.
- SUPER STEAL – Recent form has been cold, and she has been beaten by a few of these already this year.
- MORNING PARK – Two starts into a comeback following almost a year out but looks up against it here.
VERDICT: (5) MAPLE CLASSIC is the one to beat. Peter Wolsley’s five-year-old has run just the once this year but it was an impressive class and distance score on March 29th. He carries a couple of extra kilos today, but it shouldn’t stop him from repeating. (8) DEEP MIND is a promising colt who can return to form following a disappointing run in the Gyeongnam Sinmun Cup last month which saw him off the Derby trial. He should go closer here. (4) RED CLOUD showed some signs of a return to form last start while (1) DREAM JILJU and (2) SAKISAKI are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Maple Classic (8) Deep Mind (4) Red Cloud (2) Sakisaki|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8|