The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with 10 races from 14:55 to 21:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on races for overseas simulcast are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
1. ECTON BLADE – Bound to be backed as he’s from Kim Young Kwan’s stable. A long way behind Yeonghui Sidae in his trial. Half-brother has won 5 of 11.
2. JOEUN HAE – 2nd in his trial and looked to know what he was doing. Likely away to a fast start and he’s in with a chance.
3. CHONHAUI KKUM – Didn’t impress in his trial, coming home last of 10 who qualified. Top trainer and jockey but probably the outsider of the field.
4. YEONGGWANGUI CHIC – 2nd in his trial albeit 8-lengths behind the winner. Could go well.
5. YEONGHUI SIDAE – Likely favourite, he was, by some margin, the quickest of these in his trial and looks the one to beat.
6. MR. COLORS – Just average in his trial, he’s a stablemate of Yeonggwangui Chic. Not among the favourites but not impossible.
7. ACE FORCE – 3rd in his trial in a decent time and no reason why he can’t go well first-up.
Verdict: It’s the first 2-year-old race of the season and there are seven of them competing for a big prize. Favourite is (5) YEONGHUI SIDAE, who was by far the most impressive in trials and if he brings that performance to the track, he should win. (2) JOEUN HAE and (7) ACE FORCE also showed some level of competence in qualifying and can go well first up while punters will be wary too of (1) ECTON BLADE, despite his less than impressive trial.
Selections (5) Yeonghui Sidae (2) Joeun Hae (7) Ace Force (1) Ecton Blade
Next Best 4, 6, 3
Fast Start 2, 4, 5
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. ROYAL HEART – Improved 2nd place in May, three months after his previous start. In the placing frame here.
2. JUNGLE MARINE – Not too far away in all four prior outings. 4th of 12 over this distance latest and can be a danger again today.
3. ROYAL TRIPLE – Enters off back to back 3rd place finishes, both of them at this distance. No reason why she can’t match that here.
4. SUPER STEAL – Shown potential in two starts so far, albeit in small fields. Likely to lead here and the others will have to come past.
5. SHARP VICTORY – Yet to finish any better than 7th in five attempts. Four of those have been at the minimum distance.
6. HOSEUNGJISIM – 5th of 10 on debut is her bet so far. Looks to have plenty to find here. First try at further than 1000M.
7. WORLD KOREAN – Solid 3rd of 11 on debut at this distance on June 2nd. Top trainer and jockey and the one to beat today.
8. NURI STAR – Offered few clues in two outings so far.
9. ARIYA – 9th in both starts to date, both of them on the slow side. Light weight.
10. CHAM HAENGBOKAN – Beaten a few each time but not enough to be recommended here.
11. POWER BOW – 9th of 11 on debut over 1000M two weeks ago. Watching brief again today.
12. TRUMPET MAJOR – 8th of 10 on debut two weeks ago. Didn’t show enough that day to warrant a recommendation here.
Verdict: (7) WORLD KOREAN showed enough in running 3rd at this distance on debut two weeks ago to suggest he’ll not be detained too long at this level and should run out victorious here. He began slowly last time and probably will do so again with the early pace likely to be set by (4) SUPER STEAL, who has also shown promise in her two prior efforts. (1) ROYAL HEART and (2) JUNGLE MARINE also look competitive.
Selections (7) World Korean (4) Super Steal (2) Jungle Marine (1) Royal Heart
Next Best 3, 5
Fast Start 4
Race3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. HOSEUNGJIMA – Best of 4th from six tries so far. Would do well to match that today. Should be on pace early.
2. MACH KAISERIN – Been getting closer, culminating in a 2nd place last start at this distance. With a fast start, she can go close again.
3. HUIMANGUI NORAE – 4th of 11 three weeks ago was her best finish to date. However, she was a full 11 lengths behind Damyang Yeongung in 2nd and has a lot to find still.
4. BARAMUI SIN – A bit average in all five efforts so far. First try at 1300M today.
5. I’M ADELE – Best finish of 2nd was at this distance last December. First start since February and won’t be among the favourites.
6. YES RED – Stopped running a furlong out when odds-on favourite over 1000M two weeks ago. Goes further for the first time today and should probably get another chance.
7. PERFECT DIVA – Comes in following a 3rd and a 2nd in her latest two, most recently at this distance. She’s the one to beat here.
8. CHOEGANG STEALTH – Best so far is a 4th place achieved at this distance in May. Matching it is not impossible today.
9. DAMYANG YEONGUNG – Getting closer and was a solid 2nd last start at this distance. Firmly in the hunt once more.
10. HAESEONG SPEED – Best finish so far was a 5th over this distance in March. 5th would be a reasonable target again.
11. YES QUEEN – 16 races without a win and not looking likely to start. Comes in following back to back 5th places though and could match those.
12. JIBONG YEONGUNG – 20th start today and yet to get his maiden win. He’s come close on several occasions but would do well to match the 4th he managed last time.
Verdict: After a 3rd and 2nd place from her last two starts. (7) PERFECT DIVA looks ready to make the step up and win here. She could lead or set up camp just behind the early lead and finish strongly. (9) DAMYANG YEONGUNG looks to be the main danger although (2) MACH KAISERIN and (6) YES RED can’t be ruled out.
Selections (7) Perfect Diva (9) Damyang Yeongung (2) Mach Kaiserin (6) Yes Red
Next Best 8, 5
Fast Start 1, 2, 6
Race 4: Class 6 (1600m) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. SONATA UP – Shown promise in three outings so far. Attempts a mile for the first time and can be considered.
2. URI GIPPEUM – Back to back 3rd place finishes in February and March but gone cold in two starts since.
3. GOLDEN TROPHY – First start since January. Trialled up in average fashion and won’t be among the favourites.
4. CHOEGANG VICAR – Shown a few glimpses, principally a 5th last start. First try at a mile today.
5. WILD COP – Hasn’t missed by much in three tries at this distance but has found a few too quick and probably will again.
6. CHOEGANG BOLT – Not shown an awful lot but from a good stable and improvement can’t be ruled out.
7. BONA GIRL – Late starter, she scored a good 2nd last time at 1300M, running on well. Step up in distance may well suit and she has a great chance.
8. RICH BOLT – Has a 3rd place at the distance to her name and while she didn’t go well two weeks ago, she’s worth another chance here to place.
9. SILLAUI DALBAM – Steps up in distance after coming close a few times at the minimum. Likely to set the early pace and can go well.
10. SOJUNGHAN INYEON –Best in seven so far is a 3rd place over the minimum. First try at a mile today and could go ok but does look to have a bit to find on some of these.
11. SEONGSIL SEUNGNI – 4th on only previous try t a mile and while he failed to follow up when well supported a month ago, could look to find the money here.
12. ROYAL COTTINGHAM – She’s offered little in two outings so far and can’t be recommended at this stage.
Verdict: (7) BONA GIRL may be a later developer but she ran on nicely for 2nd over 1300M two weeks ago and should appreciate the opportunity to stretch her legs a little more here. She has a big chance but isn’t the only one who may benefit from their first start over a mile. (1) SONATA UP and (9) SILLAUI DALBAM have both shown promise and can take to the new distance well while among those who do have experience at it, (8) RICH BOLT looks the pick.
Selections (7) Bona Girl (9) Sillaui Dalbam (1) Sonata Up (8) Rich Bolt
Next Best 10, 11
Fast Start 2, 3, 9
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. TAEGWON CHAMP – Steps back in distance after good 4th over a mile last time. Could find the minor money.
2. JILJU DAEJANG – Best finish at this class is a 5th over 1200M. Should beat plenty but won’t be among the favourites.
3. HAENGBOKAN JILJU – Missed six months following maiden win and has really struggled in four starts since coming back.
4. FIRST WINNING – Got promoted to this level with two 2nd places rather than a win. Has held her own at class 5 but needs to improve to be competing for the win.
5. DONGNAM LUCKY – Beat First Winning in April to get promoted to this class. 4th on first try at the level over a mile on May 28th and can look to place here.
6. BAENGNYEON SONNIM – 3rd on both tries at this level, last time beaten four lengths by Daejiui Huimang over 1000M. Form to overturn on that one but placing chances again.
7. DAEJIUI HUIMANG – 2nd, ahead of Baengnyeon Sonnim last start over 1000M. Has run well at a mile too and can go close.
8. FERNANDO – Up in class after coming close a little too often at class 6. Can be competitive but has quite a bit to find to win.
9. UJU JEONGBEOL – Solid 4th at class and distance in March but struggled in solitary start since.
10. PRIME RACE – The favourite having been 2nd on first try at this level six weeks ago. Comes in relatively fresh and should have too much here.
11. CHEONJIGAEBYEOK – Had a hard time in two tries at this level since maiden win in April.
Verdict: (10) PRIME RACE has never been worse than 5th in four prior outings and was a good winner over this distance in April He followed up with a solid 2nd place behind a good winner in May and can continue his development here under the in-form Jo In Kwen. (7) DAEJIUI HUIMANG and (6) BAENGNYEON SONNIM came home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced together over 1000M on May 28th and both can be competitive again while (5) DONGNAM LUCKY looks best of the rest.
Selections (10) Prime Race (7) Daejiui Huimang (6) Baengnyeon Sonnim (5) Dongnam Lucky
Next Best 1, 8
Fast Start 5, 6, 7
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. TEXAS RUSH – Last on return from eight months off at the end of May. Will surely improve today.
2. CITY WINNER – Up in class following maiden win on May 19th. Not too much to fear here and has a shout once more. Should look to lead early.
3. ARENA – No worse than 5th in five attempts at this level. Can get on speed early and could well win this.
4. MINE – Last of 11 on latest outings in May. She is a little better than that though and while not among the favourites could sneak some minor money.
5. RECHAE – 3rd at class and distance in April ahead of Mine, she’s been 7th in both starts since. Money finish a possibility here.
6. MUHAN SPEED – Comes in following back to back 3rd places at 1200M and 1000M respectively. Can match those.
7. GODAE – Solid 5th of 11 last time. Unlikely to win this but can get close again.
8. PANGPANG LEGEND – 13 runs and yet to win. That’s unlikely to change today with a place her best chance.
9. SHARP QUEENS – 2nd at class and distance last start in similar all-filly race and no reason why she can’t repeat.
10. DAMYANG CHEONSA – Showed some improvement last time when racing 5th of 11 at class and distance. Still more to find today.
11. CAP WINNER – 6th of 11 last time well behind Sharp Queens and plenty to find here.
Verdict: Competitive race for fillies here and while it took (2) CITY WINNER seven attempts to get off the mark, she looks nicely in here nice again and despite being up in class, she can win, possibly leading all the way. She’ll be joined up front early by (3) ARENA and that one too has claims having proved competitive at this class already with (9) SHARP QUEENS and (6) MUHAN SPEED chief among a number of others set to provide stern competition.
Selections (2) City Winner (3) Arena (9) Sharp Queens (6) Muhan Speed
Next Best 5, 1
Fast Start 2, 3