There’s a new foreign jockey in town and he’ll be in action on Saturday at Seoul where there are 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00. English race cards here.
29-year-old Antonio Davielson Correira da Silva is from Brazil. He rode in his home country for 11 years, mainly in Sao Paulo and notched up over 700 winners including several Brazilian Group races.
He moved to Singapore in the summer of 2015 and enjoyed a successful stint at Kranji, even coming to Korea last year to partner Super Winner in the Korea Sprint.
Da Silva, who will be called “Antonio Davielson” in the Korean race cards, has a busy opening weekend in Seoul with six rides booked on Saturday and three on Sunday.
Notes on races to be simulcast overseas belows:
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. LITTLE ANGELS – Yet to win in 22 but was 3rd at odds of 140/1 last start. More respect today but still an outsider.
2. LEAD UP – An all the way winner at the distance in April and then 3rd on first try at this class three weeks ago. With a quick start, she has a good chance here.
3. SUAN STAR – Last in slow effort on only start of 2017 so far at the end of April. Not devoid of talent but hard to back here.
4. SHINE QUEEN – Has been getting progressively further away in six outings at this class but may appreciate the drop back to the minimum distance today.
5. GANGCHONUI ACHIM – Hasn’t won in 5 attempts but has been close. 2nd on both tries at this distance.
6. VICAR MUSIC – Only beat one home well back behind Little Angels on what was her first go at class 5 on April 23rd. Can be given another chance here.
7. BOLD NINER – Last in tough race over 1200M a month ago. Can go better today back at the minimum.
8. DANGDANGHANYEOGEOL – Up in class following maiden win at this distance on April 22nd. Ran on nicely that day and in with a chance here.
9. BEST TEN – Maiden win at seventh time of asking last start and up in class here. That win was overdue and she looks to have a real chance here too.
10. SKY BIG – Our first chance to see Brazilian jockey Antonio Davielson Correira da Silva, formerly Singapore-based, in action. Got his work cut out on this one.
11. NEW HIGH TIME – Maiden win at the sixth attempt last start and up in class today. Should be in the frame.
Verdict: Fillies (and one mare) only here and it’s looks like the three who are up in class having registered maiden successes last time out will be the ones to follow. All three were quite impressive doing it as well and it would be no surprise were any of them to follow up here. We have to choose though so we’ll side with (9) BEST TEN to get the better of (8) DANGDANGHANYEOGEOL and (11) NEW HIGH TIME. Among the rest, (2) LEAD UP looks capable at this distance and should be a factor while that one mare, (1) LITTLE ANGELS, may still be without a win but showed good form last start and can be competitive today.
Selections (9) Best Ten (8) Dangdanghanyeogeol (11) New High Time (2) Lead Up
Next Best 1, 6
Fast Start 2, 3, 6
Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. EXCELLENT QUEEN – 2nd in both outings to date. That’s enough to put her up in class here but she can be competitive again.
2. GOLDEN VASCAR – He returned from 15 months off to run 9th of 11 over 1700M in April. May appreciate the step back in trip.
3. KWAEHAN YEOJANGBU – Shown little since winning on debut last September.
4. WANGDAEJANG – His four consecutive 9th place finishes coming into this race do not inspire much optimism.
5. SEOUL TANK – Demonstrated little talent in seven prior outings.
6. GEUMBIT ROAD – Always well supported but tends to come up short. Stretched out to six furlongs for the first time since 2015.
7. GINNY ACE – No better than 9th in four outings in 2017.
8. MANWOLMUN – Enters in dreadful form.
9. YEOKDAE CHOEGANG – His win was at this distance and he can be in the placing hunt today.
10. TRIPLE POWER – A winner at this distance in April, he didn’t go well at 1200M on his first try at class 5 but has to be given another chance in this company.
11. RAON KINGDOM – Disappointed when well backed last start but has shown talent and should be in the frame here.
Verdict: Not a strong race this so despite failing to win at class 6 (1) EXCELLENT QUEEN has an excellent chance of making the breakthrough having been promoted following consecutive 2nd place finishes. She can get to the front early and stay there. The only other one who comes in with convincing recent form is (6) GEUMBIT ROAD who has been performing solidly against better opposition than this and should see an improved finish positon today. Aside from that we need to look for ones who are better than recent form suggests; (11) RAON KINGDOM and (9) YEOKDAE CHOEGANG look the most likely.
Selections (1) Excellent Queen (6) Geumbit Road (11) Raon Kingdom (9) Yeokdae Choegang
Next Best 10, 2
Fast Start 1, 2, 9, 11
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. INDY CAT – Bled and lost a plate when 3rd at this distance a month ago and returns at the earliest permissible opportunity. Not pushed in a trial last week. A chance.
2. SOKBO TAEJA – 8th in a tough race last time, yet to win in seven outings but could challenge for minor money.
3. HAEGARAM – Winless in 19 but comes in following a 3rd and a 2nd at class and distance and has to be considered.
4. FIGHTER BONG – Beat Indy Cat to land his maiden win at the distance on March 18th and was then 4th on first try at this level behind Singgereoun Geom. A chance today.
5. SUPER CAPTAIN – Struggled in two outings at this level following maiden win.
6. FOUR J – Gone cold in recent starts.
7. JASEONG GUNJU – 7th of 11 over 1000M last start. Yet to win but holds a 3rd place at class and distance which could be repeated.
8. HANIL ENSEMBLE – Useful 3rd place behind Haegaram latest was much improved.
9. SINGGEUREOUN GEOM – 4th and 2nd in two tries at this class and has to be favourite here.
10. COLD STAR – Usually beats a few and will run on but will find a few too quick as well.
11. KING AHEAD – Dropped back in class last time and can match the 4th he scored.
Verdict: Narrowly beaten in a decent contest at class and distance on April 22nd, (9) SINGGEUREOUN GEOM is strongly favoured to score this time. That day he finished nine lengths ahead of (4) FIGHTER BONG, who can get a bit closer today and may turn out to be the stiffest competition here. (3) HAEGARAM has been getting closer to what has so far proved an elusive maiden win but may have to settle for the places once more while (7) JASEONG GUNJU and (11) KING AHEAD also look to be contenders for the money.
Selections (9) Singgeureoun Geom (4) Fighter Bong (3) Haegaram (11) King Ahead
Next Best 7, 5, 1
Fast Start 5, 7
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. DAE JYUSIN – Never better than 3rd or worse than 5th in seven races so far. That run will most likely continue today.
2. ALBERTUS CROWN – Shown no discernible ability in five attempts.
3. TOGETHER HUG – Shown a big improvement in her latest two. 2nd last time and can go well again.
4. LEADING RACER – Managed a creditable 4th in a slow race at this distance in April but reverted to type latest.
5. URIUI HAENGBOK – Up in class having won at the distance on April 30th. The manner of that win suggests there is more to come here too.
6. HAWK EYES – Decent 4th on first try at the level following a maiden win last Christmas Day. Resumes for the first time since February.
7. SMART JOE – Nothing smart about his latest two but can challenge for the minor money in this company.
8. LONG WAY – Shown a couple of glimpses in three starts so far. Best a 4th and could better that here.
9. GWACHEON BOLT – 9th in both tries so far. Any improvement will be the goal.
10. CHOWON BOLT – Comes in off two solid performances at 1400M and could get close again.
11. CHEONG UN SIDAE – Two 2nds and a 4th in from three tries at this level. Looks to have another win in him and it could be here.
12. RUNNER QUEEN – A winner at this class over 1200M on April 22nd. First try at the distance but must be respected and has every chance.
Verdict: It’s started to come together for (3) TOGETHER HUG. She showed nothing in her first three starts but has been much improved in her latest two and looks the pick here. Main danger is proven winner (11) CHEONG UN SIDAE who while yet to score at this distance has been close in each of his latest three. Coming from the outside gate to get on the early speed will be (12) RUNNER QUEEN, a winner last start and in the hunt again while (1) DAE JYUSIN and (5) URIUI HAENGBOK are others who shouldn’t be ruled out.
Selections (3) Together Hug (11) Cheong Un Sidae (12) Runner Queen (5) Uriui Haengbok
Next Best 1, 6
Fast Start 5, 7, 12
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. SONGAM STAR – Hasn’t impressed in two starts back from nine-month layoff.
2. SUN EAST – Well back last time but managed a 3rd at class and distance in March.
3. NALSSAEN GANGHO – Up in class following a win and a 2nd at this distance. Must be taken seriously.
4. ROYAL POWER – First start since last September. Watching brief first-up.
5. NASCA PRINCE – A class 5 winner over this distance, he was 2nd at 1400M on first try at this level last month. Lots of potential and can win.
6. YUJIGYEONGSEONG – Very experienced, always runs at this distance. Won’t win but could pick up some minor money.
7. SPERO – Up in class having come close too often at class 5. Up in distance too and makes for an interesting outsider.
8. SARYEONI HEALING – Good class 5 winner at the distance last start and in the frame again.
9. GWASOK DOLPUNG – First start since last October, she was going well before the layoff. Trial two weeks ago wasn’t especially impressive.
10. HAPJAKPUM – Steps up to two turns for the first time. 2nd to the promising Rocket Queen last start at 1400M, running on well from off the pace and can be considered.
11. DAEWANGSIN –5th of 8 last time and 5th would be a sensible target again.
Verdict: He’s won two from four so far and (5) NASCA PRINCE looks to have more wins in him. He was defeated just half a length by a decent type last time and should have too much here. Also on the way up is (8) SARYEONI HEALING, a winner over this distance last time out and who also looks nicely in here. (10) HAPJAKPUM looks ready for another go at two-turns having run on very well for 2nd over 1400M last start while (3) NALSSAEN GANGHO and (7) SPERO are best of the rest.
Selections (5) Nasca Prince (8) Saryeoni Healing (10) Hapjakpum (7) Spero
Next Best 3, 11
Fast Start 5, 7
Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SINGIPARANG – Recent form is cold.
2. JANGSAN CHEONHA – Up in class having won at the distance on April 23rd. A bit to find but in the frame.
3. MY WILLIAM –Dropped back from class 2 late last year but hasn’t found things easier at this level.
4. GREAT JOY – Yet to win in 13 attempts but has two 2nd place finishes from his last three at 1700M and 1800M and he can be considered.
5. TOTAL WALKER – Not yet won in 23 and that probably won’t change here but capable of finding the money on his day.
6. CIRCLE THE WAGONS – Class and distance winner in January but struggled on only start since. That was back in February so he comes in here following three months off.
7. HWANGGEUM DEULPAN – Has shown ability at this level and at this distance but recent form isn’t great.
8. DEUMJIKI – Struggled in three outings so far this year.
9. USEUNG HOUSE – Finished one place behind Total Walker last start and has form to make up here.
10. GOOD TO YOU – Finished in midfield on two outings at this class and could improve today.
11. GRAND BLEU – 6th of 11 last time and needs improvement if he is to compete here.
12. HWAGANG – Up in class and distance following a win over 1400M last time. It was his maiden but he’d been close plenty of times before and can come close again.
Verdict: It’s a risk going for one who is yet to score in thirteen attempts but going on his 2nd place over 1800M last start, (4) GREAT JOY has to really be the pick here. He beat a couple of these when running 2nd at the distance in a good race in February and if he’s going to make the breakthrough, today looks his best chance. (12) HWAGANG made his own breakthrough last start and steps up in both class and distance today to be the main danger while (2) JANGSAN CHEONHA, a winner at this distance, also comes up in class and should be competitive. (10) GOOD TO YOU has never won but usually doesn’t miss by much at this distance and can find the minor money again.
Selections (4) Great Joy (12) Hwagang (2) Jangsan Cheonha (10) Good To You
Next Best 6, 5
Fast Start 1, 10, 11
Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
1. JANGSANJEWANG – 4th last time out in tougher company. Looked fast in a trial last week and is favourite here.
2. DAISYAN – Good 4th over 1400M three weeks ago. Capable of finding the minor money.
3. HEUNGRYONG – Up to class 1 after just seven outings. He’s won four of them and given a good start can be competitive here.
4. CITY STAR – Rose up the classes quickly – he steps back to 1200M for the first time since his maiden score at class 6. In the frame.
5. DAEHAN JANGGUN – Recent form has been patchy.
6. ZENTENARY – Shock class and distance winner on Christmas Eve. Latest couple haven’t impressed.
7. QUEEN CREEK CAT – Steps back in trip which may benefit but class 1 looks challenging for her.
8. GLOBAL FUSION – Put in a couple of decent performances in big races earlier this year. One or two may be too quick again.
9. IMPETUS – Made little impression in three starts so far this year.
10. JEONSEUNG DAESE – Not too far away in his latest couple but does have a bit to find.
11. GUMANSEOK – Honest campaigner who can never be completely ruled out. Would be a surprise though.
12. SUN BURSTER – 5th behind Daisyan on latest appearance. A place is possible.
Verdict: (1) JANGSANJEWANG was 4th in a good race over the distance a month ago and absolutely flew through a trial last week. Staying on the final half furlong is generally his issue but Brian Dean’s sprinter can win this. (3) HEUNGRYONG steps up to class 1 for the first time and is a contender while (4) CITY STAR can be given another chance following a tough spin around 1900M last start. (2) DAISYAN and (8) GLOBAL FUSION the best of a competitive rest.
Selections (1) Jangsanjewang (3) Heungryong (2) Daisyan (4) City Star
Next Best 8, 12
Fast Start 1, 3, 6, 7