Busan horses were in action at the Dubai World Cup Carnival overnight at Meydan with Main Stay a winner over 1200M and Triple Nine a valiant runner-up over 2000M. More on that to follow but back home the South Coast track hosts 11 races on Friday from 11:30 to 18:00.
English race cards are here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below:
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 13:35
(8) CAPI RUN beat (7) GOLDEN TROPHY as the pair raced 2nd and 3rd over this distance in a very similar race two weeks ago and they should be battling it out again, this time for the win. Golden Trophy has been favourite for both his last two starts and he’s favoured to get it right this time. Those two stand out but (6) TIME CASTLE comes in after a reasonably encouraging 3rd place last time while (1) HIGH SPEC and (4) K O BARAM may improve on recent outings.
Selections: (7) Golden Trophy (8) Capi Run (6) Time Castle (1) High Spec
Next Best: 4, 11
Fast Starters: 1, 9, 11
Start-200M: 12, 1, 8, 11, 7
200M-Home: 4, 6, 2, 7, 5
Race 5: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 14:20
(3) YEONGGWANGUICOUNTRY ran poorly over 1000M, beaten by a couple of the others here, a month ago but had shown talent before that and gets another chance today stepped up to 1300M for the first time. (5) NAMBANG JEONSEOL beat three of these at the distance three weeks ago and must be considered while the more experienced (2) KING CODE enters following back to back 4ths and can seek a career-best finish here. (7) MACH IMPACT and (8) EGSEU BAND also should not be ignored.
Selections: (3) Yeonggwanguicountry (5) Nambang Jeonseol (2) King Code (8) Egseu Band
Next Best: 7, 11
Fast Starters: 3, 7, 12
Start-200M: 12, 3, 5, 7, 8
200M-Home: 11, 3, 2, 6, 5
Race 6: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:05
(6) SECRET MARINE steps up in class following a seven-length win over 1200M on New Year’s Eve and there’s no reason why he can’t repeat in modest class 5 opposition. Main danger is (7) ADELE STAR who came close at class and distance just two weeks ago in arguably tougher company than this and should lead here. (3) PEREFCT HUMOR returned from a seven month absence three weeks ago and ran creditably enough to suggest improvement is possible here while Secret Marine’s stablemate (4) DINAH is yet to win in five outings but has already won money at this level and should be competitive again. She was though beaten by (2) VICAR SARANG last start and that one too comes into consideration here.
Selections: (6) Secret Marine (7) Adele Star (4) Dinah (3) Perfect Humor
Next Best: 2, 9, 8
Rating: 7, 6, 4=9, 5
Fast Starters: 7, 8
Start-200M: 8, 7, 1, 6, 4
200M-Home: 12, 6, 4, 10, 8
Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 15:50
(4) GREAT KING has been 2nd in both starts so far and looks the one to beat in this competitive affair. He was leading close to home last time but got headed late on and dropping down to 1200M may suit. (1) PERLIN was scratched at the gate when found to be bleeding from the mouth prior to a valuable race on New Year’s Eve. No problem was found and he looks to be the main danger here having been 4th behind Great King on the latter’s debut. (5) SUPER MATCH got his maiden win in smart fashion two weeks ago and will be backed once more while (7) THE GRAND and (8) JEONGSANG KOREA have also shown potential in their short careers to date and may be considered.
Selections: (4) Great King (1) Perlin (5) Super Match (8) Jeongsang Korea
Next Best: 7, 6
Rating: 1, 5, 4, 8, 7
Fast Starters: 1, 2, 7
Start-200M: 1, 8, 2, 7, 4
200M-Home: 1, 6, 10, 5, 7
Race 8: Class 4 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:35
Five of these raced each other over class and distance on December 31st and it was (5) PPUDEUT, just beaten a nose into 2nd in that race, who was the best of them and as such, he’s the pick today. Also from that race (6) ARION METAL and (10) KWAESOK BOLT should go well again but the main threat is likely to be (9) GALILEE HO. He won his first two starts but met his match at domestic class 4 last time. Nevertheless, he came 3rd that day and should be competitive here under a nice light weight. Among the rest, (4) CHOEGO JILJU is yet to win but come in following back to back 3rd place finishes and could benefit from a first try at a mile.
Selections: (5) Ppudeut (9) Galilee Ho (6) Arion Metal (10) Kwaesok Bolt
Next Best: 4, 7
Rating: 5=10, 6, 1=3
Fast Starters: 4, 5, 7
Start-200M: 7, 4, 2, 10, 9
200M-Home: 12, 11, 5, 1, 10
Race 9: Class 4 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:00
(7) GREEN GREEN is two for two but faces her toughest assignment yet, up in class and distance today. She’s likely to be a front-runner here and there’s no reason why she can’t be competitive. Likely favourite is (3) MUHAN YEOLJEONG, another front-runner, who looked strong when winning at class and distance on December 31st, comfortably beating Galilee Ho, who we saw in race 8, in the process. He does carry more weight today but not enough for it to be too significant. Those two are the clear standouts but (6) GO JJANG has won at the distance before and can be considered while (1) FOUR STAR and (9) MUJEOK SINHWA look best of the rest.
Selections: (7) Green Green (3) Muhan Yeoljeong (6) Go Jjang (1) Four Star
Next Best: 9, 8
Rating: 9, 3, 5=6=7
Fast Starters: 3, 7, 9
Start-200M: 3, 7, 9, 5, 8
200M-Home: 5, 7, 3, 2, 1
Race 10: Class 3 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 17:30
Really competitive race and it’s something of a re-run of a similar event at class and distance on December 31st. That day (9) SUNSHINE ALPHA was the winner, beating (5) GABO STAR into 2nd with (6) LOAD CELL a further couple of lengths back in 3rd. Those three look to be the picks here but (3) KWAEHAN JILJU, (1) YEONGTO DAEWANG and (8) HAEUNDAE GISANG filled 2nd to 4th in a race, again at this distance on December 18th and while it was perhaps not quite as strong as the Sunshine Alpha race, all three can be respected.
Selections: (5) Gabo Star (9) Sunshine Alpha (8) Haeundae Gisang (6) Load Cell
Next Best: 3, 4, 11, 1
Rating: 2, 3, 9, 1, 5
Fast Starters: 1, 2, 6, 11
Start-200M: 11, 1, 6, 2, 4
200M-Home: 5, 6, 8, 4, 10
Race 11: Class 2 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:00
(6) YUSEONGCHEOREOM has won four of five starts so far including his last three by a combined twenty lengths. He is up in class here and noticeably so but is favoured to continue his progress today. (9) BAEDARI BOBAE probably deserves a better win record as he has consistently raced in top class company. He was a really good 3rd in the President’s Cup in Seoul in November and it is interesting to see him dropped all the way down to 1200M today. (1) SUPER STORM and (10) GABOGAPJJANG are solid competitors and are to be considered. A year ago, (4) BANJIUI JEWANG was one of the hottest prospects heading into the Triple Crown season but fell flat it the first two legs and returns to racing for the first time for seven months. He breezed through a trial looking good at the end of December and is the wildcard here.
Selections: (6) Yuseongcheoreom (9) Baedari Bobae (4) Banjiui Jewang (1) Super Storm
Next Best: 10, 5, 11
Rating: 1, 5, 2=7=11
Fast Starters: 1, 5, 6, 12
Start-200M: 4, 6, 12, 1, 2
200M-Home: 10, 11, 12, 1, 7