There were no last minute surprise additions and no late withdrawals as the final declarations for Sunday’s KRA Cup Mile at Busan Race Park were published on Wednesday. The unbeaten Impeccable heads the field which will go to post at 15:45.
Leading jockey Ikuyasu Kurakane will partner highly rated Sky Star and there is a first big race ride in Korea for South African jockey Martin Wepner who will take the reins on Namdo Jeap. The race will also see the first trial of Trifecta betting in Korea.
Here is the full list of runners, records and riders:
KRA Cup Mile (G.III) – Busan Race Park – 1600M – Apr 5, 2009
1. Power Boy [Lost Mountain – Keon-Gon Ch’eonggi (Pro For Sure)] C (7/2/3/1) – Lim Sung Sil
Has never gone further than seven furlongs although finished ahead of three of this field last time out – but that was back in January.
2. Geumbit Sesang [Duality – Shawnee Sunset (True Colors)] C (4/3/0/0) – Chae Gyu Jun
Won over the distance in March
3. Yeonseung Daero [Creek Cat – Sensationalkris (Cryptoclearance)] C (7/5/1/1) – Kim Eu Su
Stepped up to class 1 early and finished a creditable third behind Procyon and Ebony Storm over this distance in March. A real chance.
4. Sandeomi [Commendable – Regal Meg (Regal Classic)] C (7/4/0/1) – Jo Chan Hoon
Won over this distance in February although was well beaten by Sky Star last time out. Dropping back to a mile could suit though.
5. Sky Star [Tahamkke – Blue Lark (Ravenwood)] C (8/4/1/0) – Ikuyasu Kurakane
A winner at this distance and at class 2 level. With Busan’s top jockey on board, he’ll have plenty of supporters.
6. Namdo Jeap [Ft. Stockton – Wandering Katie (Tejano)] C (5/3/1/1) – Martin Wepner
On a run of three straight wins but has never gone further than six furlongs. If he gets the trip, this half brother of last year’s winner Rainmaker, will be in contention.
7. Money Teukgeup [Ft. Stockton – Headwork (Silveyville)] C (7/2/3/1) – Shin Hyoung Cheol
A regular placer up at Seoul but has been in weak company so far.
8. Impeccable [Distilled – Belle Breezy (Foolish Pleasure)] C (4/4/0/0) – Park Geum Man
Unbeaten and eased down every time. The one doubt is he’s never gone a mile. His times have been nothing special but they haven’t needed to be. Potentially very good.
9. Pangpang [Revere – Awishnotalark (Rio’s Lark)] F (9/2/0/1) – Choi Si Dae
Finishing out of the money last time out, it would be a surprise if the filly made much of an impact.
10. Sangseung Ilro [Concept Win – Ms. Whiskey (Whiskey Wisdom)] F (5/3/1/1) – Eiki Nishimura
Has won her last three races including one over the distance.
11. Dream Wings [Exploit – American Royalty (Alleged)] F (5/2/1/0) – Lee Seung Jae
Finished a long way behind Sangseung Ilro last time.
12. Love Cat [Creek Cat – Love Cue (Curia Regis)] F (8/5/0/2) – Choi Beom Hyun
Seoul’s top filly will have no problems getting the trip and her times suggest that if she takes to the Busan track, she could be in contention. Choi Beom Hyun goes south with her.
2008 Winner: Rainmaker [Revere – Wandering Katie (Tejano)]. Last year’s winner came into the race with two wins and three thirds from his five outings. The Cup Mile was his first attempt at anything over seven furlongs. Rainmaker went on to disappoint in the Korean Derby and suffered a knee injury in the Minister’s Cup at Seoul in October.